Did you come here because of 50 Shades of Grey? Then read this

Smallest

MIRROR: Download from MEGA

I’ll assume that you’re talking about a bit more than pretending you’re Anastasia Steele to your partner’s Christian Grey. If the scope of your interest in D/s is limited to that, visit any adult toy store, get yourself a feather duster and some lube, write down your email/blog/bank logins and PIN numbers and hand them to your partner. It should all work out fine from there.

A lady I follow on tumblr said this in an explanation about how to introduce BDSM to a partner, I thought sebby would like it.

And here is the real advice, which is not bad either.

Fileboom Premium Account

Keep2share Premium PRO Account
Free LIFE TIME Keep2Share PRO Account

billvernon2

Sure....the book is very badly written & contains a lot of what I consider bad advice but.....it sure opened a lot of women's eyes to what a much-more-interesting sex life they could have.

And how can that be bad!?!

I'm sure many of these women have/will go on to read many of the much better written (& imagined) books that are widely available & I'm certainly looking forward to meeting some of them.

Onward & upward!

Fileboom Premium Account

billvernon2

I guess I was looking at it from the viewpoint of women who are in stable but boring relationships.

It's my understanding the vast majority of readers of these books fall into this category......middle-class housewives rather than women with little or no experience & unable to protect themselves from abuse.

But, undoubtedly you're right.....some women would have been led into relationships that were not good for them.

I stand corrected.

Fileboom Premium Account

MasterPayne

I have to say the book did wonders for my relationship. I am in a loving committed D/s relationship, however I came into the relationship with a lot more knowledge than my sub. She had a difficult time accepting that she wasn't crazy for enjoying the things we do. Reading the book made her feel like it was much more common than she thought and since reading it she has really opened up. It really was the nudge she needed to accept herself the way she is.

Fileboom Premium Account

Whatever we think of the book itself, the value of it IMHO is that it has clearly indicated a previously dormant set of "kinky sex fantasies" in a pretty wide section of the population.

How many of us "kinksters" have asked ourselves over the years if we're the only ones who feel this way? Now we know for sure that we are certainly not alone!

I would never use "50 Shades" as a guide to BDSM roleplay - but its popularity has probably triggered a whole set of wonderful conversations between couples who are discovering a new world of mutual pleasure!

Some of those folks are visiting the board here and are sharing their experiences, and I think that's really great.

Of course, there are some people who could potentially be led into a relationship that wasn't really what they dreamed about, or want to participate in. I can only say that if those people were to come here for advice I know we'd help them out. Of course only a tiny fraction would ever do that, more's the pity!

But vulnerable people will fall into bad relationships with or without books like 50 Shades - I've seen that happen inside my own family and there's damn little you can do for those people. And of course it's not just a BDSM scene that I'm talking about here - it's things like mental and physical abuse that have nothing at all to do with a loving relationship.

I guess what I'm saying is that vulnerable people don't need either BDSM or 50 Shades to make mistakes in their relationships - there are plenty of other ways they can get to that bad place.

Cheers,
Stanley

Fileboom Premium Account

Last edited:

M.E. Sub

The Above, Summarized (originally for Fetlife):
  • The relationship depicted is not BDSM, it is abuse.
  • Many situations and circumstances involve Christian forcing Ana, violating her consent, ignoring her boundaries, not taking no for an answer, knowingly putting her in dangerous and harmful situations, and using her for his own purposes.
  • The books enforce a backwards notion that as long as you are rich and attractive, you can treat people like puppets, and as long as your partner is rich and attractive, it's worth it to let them abuse you.
  • These books teach that an interest in BDSM is a symptom of past abuse, both of which must be "cured."
  • Dominance in these books equates to, "Because I'm powerful, dangerous, fucked up, and I said so," and submission equates to, "Because I'm nothing and He said so."
  • Submissives in these books, via Ana, are painted as weak, meek, gullible, insecure, virginal, mousy little dormats with no knowledge of their own pleasure and no voice of dissent.
  • The types of social and safety protocols we all engage in are completely ignored and give the false impression that a BDSM relationship occurs when a Dom walks up to a sub (whether she knows she's one yet or not) and says, "That's mine."
  • Concepts like limits (soft and hard), consent, negotiations, trust, and obedience are not present. Christian does whatever he wants, and Ana says no to orders she agrees to.
  • The backbone of a "solid" BDSM relationship is depicted here as using each other with the aid of rough sex and toys.
  • The writer herself has openly stated that she did no research into BDSM, the community, or the types of relationships within and views it negatively.

By the above writer from the blog, or ta-gra-agam-duit on Fet

And to add one myself:
  • Christian discourages Ana from seeing friends and gets angry when she goes out without permission. Though disobeying can be a bad thing in a D/s or M/s relationship, all subs (and Dominants!) should be encouraged to have friends outside the relationship. Isolating someone is a huge warning sign of abuse.

You may find more on this subject here and on other parts of Fetlife if you search, and in this thread on SMplace. There is more on the individual topics within the FAQ.
Really good to know that I wasn't the only one who saw that Christian Grey was indeed a control freak. He literally tried to, and pretty much succeeded in, controlling every aspect of Ana's life. I'm definitely not a pro when it comes to D/s, but I have an inkling that's just not the way it's suppose to go.

Fileboom Premium Account