New business idea, testing the waters...

Smyttenkytten

MIRROR: Download from MEGA

Hello all...

So this is only my second post, but I must say in the few posts that I have read I can already see that I have chosen the right forum to join ;)

Last night after surfing around on Dungeon Corp and Kink sites we turned to youtube after a passing comment about amature redtube getting better in part due to 50 Shades of Grey. Well we didn't find any of that but did get to take a video tour of a playroom/dungeon and it gave me the best idea.

A few months back when J and I were planning our anniversary vacation we thought about trying a B&B for a night; buuuuut...we wanted a place with a dungeon or playroom and sadly could not find anything close to where we were going to be. We've also been toying with the idea of renting or buying a home out in the boonies or country and convert the basement into a playroom for us to use. But last night it hit me!

Why not buy a house out in the country and do just that: convert the basement into a dungeon, complete with furniture, whips, floggers, paddles etc (all hand crafted by yours truly of course) and start our own B&B, errr D&B haha. So here's where your opinions come in to play:
Would you want to take your Domme/Sub to a retreat like that?
How often would you want to make that getaway?
What would you expect to pay per night for a stay of this nature?

My mind has been spinning in circles with excitement over this glorious idea for the last 12 hours, and since J has to work for a living I cannot bother him at work with the trivial details from his Sub's insane imagination. :clap:

Aaaannnd go...

Fileboom Premium Account

Keep2share Premium PRO Account

sebastian

I think there's probably a market for it. You could appeal both to novices and hard-core players, if you had a quality set up. You could also probably market it for parties and events, for example a dinner party where the sub's serve the doms. Allowing couples the opportunity to do power exchange openly in a simple social situation is also appealing.

I think it would work best out in the countryside but not too far from a major city. Otherwise transportation would become an issue.

Fileboom Premium Account

Free LIFE TIME Keep2Share PRO Account

BreakMeDown

My wife and I are new to BDSM and due to having two young children and a small house we anticipate having a hard time playing. I think this sort thing would work well for us and we would definitely give it a shot if we like what we see on your website. I am not sure we would pay much more than what a regular B&B would go for in the area, maybe a bit for the privilege of using the dungeon. Would there be private rooms in the dungeon? Or reservations of some sort? A nice touch would be to advertise play party maybe once a month. Good luck.

Fileboom Premium Account

Last edited:

sebastian

On insurance issues, I would suggest contacting a commercial BDSM club in NYC or somewhere like that and asking them what sort of coverage they carry. Liability waivers do not actually waive liability; legally, you can't sign away the right to sue that way (or so I've been told). The reason they're used is they demonstrate informed consent, which can be helpful in a lawsuit, but is by no means a guaranteed resolution to the suit.

Fileboom Premium Account

Smyttenkytten

On insurance issues, I would suggest contacting a commercial BDSM club in NYC or somewhere like that and asking them what sort of coverage they carry. Liability waivers do not actually waive liability; legally, you can't sign away the right to sue that way (or so I've been told). The reason they're used is they demonstrate informed consent, which can be helpful in a lawsuit, but is by no means a guaranteed resolution to the suit.

Good to know! We obviously would do our research, and potentially contact an attorney to draft the correct legal documents, but this is great info!

I just wasn't sure what the market might be for this sort of set-up, and to be quite honest, I am so new to this that I don't have much in the way of BDSMucation...so I would want to start small and work up. J & I had been tossing around the idea of doing this for just us, but why not make a business out of it. I do think that I would limit the types of acts allowed (i.e. no potty play) simply for the clean up aspect of things as I do not want to come in contact with particular bodily fluids. I know that limits the clientel, but I'd like to think that I would run a clean establishment... :)

Thanks again for the info...keep it coming! :clap:

Fileboom Premium Account

I think it would be a great idea.

But like so many great ideas, and as you already know, the legal side could be a challenge.

I found this thread on slavefarm.com - it's rather old, but this might be another source of advice.

http://www.slavefarm.com/forum/general/general-discussions/legal-question-possible-bdsm-bb-usa

Something else that occured to me is to try to strike up a conversation with the owners of an existing establishment that is far enough away that you will not present a competitive threat.

I suppose the problem in the US is that you're a loose collection of states when it comes to less mainstream laws and regulations. So somebody in California getting legal advice from someone in Florida might not work.

If it's general advice you're after from people who run these places, I found this BDSM B&B in New Zealand!

http://www.bdsmpassion.com/The_Loft_and_Dungeon.htm

And here are a couple of UK-based establishments:

http://www.mistresshellena.com/newdungeons.html

http://www.ukdungeonhire.co.uk/

And I suppose the ultimate "slave farm" concept (although very FemDom-focused) is the Other World Kingdom. Of course this is not really just a fetish hotel - it's an organization of professional Dominatrices who use some big farm (or something like it) in the Czech Republic (www.owk.cz). They have a different business model - providing a sort of base for a number of professional Dommes, and producing FemDom movies. The "residential" part is probably useful sideline.

But these examples may give you an idea of "features and pricing".

Good luck with your plans!

Cheers,
Stanley

Fileboom Premium Account

Last edited: