can't tell if he's into bdsm

sebastian

MIRROR: Download from MEGA

SnN, the more that I read what you have to say, the more I am convinced that this man is an abuser and not a true dom. And in fact, I'm starting to think that you might not actually be a masochist, simply a woman in an abusive relationship who is trying to make sense of the abuse heaped on her by interpreting it as a gesture of love. The victims of abuse frequently find ways to justify the abuse ("I made him angry, so I deserved it", "he's only like this when he drinks", "he loves me, so this must not be abuse"). Perhaps you have a masochistic side to you, but perhaps not. You're clearly deeply unhappy about what's happening. Cutting yourself doesn't make you a masochist. It means you're looking for some way to express or relieve your emotional pain.

BDSM is about consensual power exchange. When I play with a man (and if it's not clear, I'm gay, so my experience is entirely based in how BDSM works between two men; there are many commonalities with straight BDSM, but also some important differences), I negotiate the power exchange with him before we ever start playing--days before, in some cases. I ask him what he wants me to do and what he doesn't want me to do. I enjoy inflicting pain on men, but only as long as I know that they are enjoying receiving the pain. I would never intentionally inflict non-erotic pain, and if the man indicates through his safeword that I've reached the limit of his ability to tolerate the pain and find it pleasurable, I stop immediately and switch to something else that I think he will enjoy. I would be deeply upset if I accidentally harmed him or did something he really objected to. Much of the pleasure that I derive from inflicting pain is knowing that I am giving the sub pleasure through pain. If a sub indicated to me that he didn't want any pain, I would either simply not play with him or leave pain play off the menu and focus on something else.

As far as whipping boys are concerned, some male subs volunteer themselves for abuse as a way for their dom to relieve stress. I do online play with a sub named James who calls himself a 'full service cunt'. He enjoys the idea of being of service to me in any way that I enjoy. A week ago I came home from my job extremely stressed out. James allowed me to unload a torrent of verbal abuse on him because he knew that doing so would help me release my frustrations. Had we been together physically, he would have allowed me to paddle him, torture his nipples, and so on. But, and here is the difference between that situation and yours, James' gesture was essentially a gift to me, a voluntarily gesture to ease my tension. He enjoys being verbally abused, so he got something erotic out of it, and he loves feeling like he serves me. After I insulted and degraded him verbally, I felt an enormous sense of relief, and I was deeply grateful to James for offering this service to me. I feel a deep sense of affection toward him and in a way I'm humbled by what he offers me. I want, very badly, to meet his emotional needs and take care of him because of the way he is caring for my needs. As a gay dom, protecting and nurturing my subs is one of my major obligations.

When I finish playing with a sub, we typically spend a good deal of time afterward unwinding from the emotional highs of the scene. I cuddle and caress him and feel quite tenderly toward this guy that I was abusing and paddling just a little while before. At the start of play, the sub willingly surrenders power to me or permits me to take it from him, and in the cuddling afterwards, I return the power to them so that we are equals again. In a more long-term relationship, the power isn't always returned, but that's because the sub has voluntarily entered into a relationship in which he has chosen to not be equal to his dom.

Absolutely none of this seems to apply to you. This man has by your own admission raped you, struck you in anger, disregarded your sexual pleasure, threatened to maim you, and attempted to socially isolate you by eliminating your ability to maintain friendships, education, and jobs. Those are textbook signs of an abuser.

Please leave this man. I realize that it seems impossible for you to do, but that's because he's taught you that you can't leave him. Your family and friends still care about you, even if they are frustrated with your inability to take care of yourself; I strongly suspect that they will try to help you if you turn to them. If they cut you off, it's because they're too distressed by your situation. If you cannot turn to them, seek help from a battered woman's shelter or a crisis line. They can provide counseling and resources and help you find a way to liberate yourself. But you have to do the actual work of leaving, as hard as this is. You have a choice--leave now or stay and be miserable until he maims or kills you. You cannot change this man, and he will not change on his own.

Be aware that your situation is extremely dangerous. An abusive husband/lover will become the most violent he will ever be at the point that you actually leave him. This is the point when some men actually try to kill their wives, and many succeed. So do not tell him that you are planning to leave him. Make plans with help from a friend or a shelter, wait until he's away at work, and simply leave. Do not tell him where you are going or why you are leaving. Just leave.

It is not your fault that he's abusing you. You do not deserve anything he's done to you. It's embarrassing to admit that you've allowed yourself to be abused and it's hard to admit that you were wrong about this relationship, but your loved ones will forgive you and you will get over your sense of embarrassment as you get some distance from this man. But for your own sake, please leave him.

MLML is right--your situation is too large, complex, and dangerous for us to be able to provide you with the emotional assistance you need right now. All we can do is offer you a little emotional support and encouragement. I care how you're doing, and my guess is that others on the forum do as well, but we can't provide the depth of support you need. Feel free to stay and talk with us, but don't make us your only or even major source of support. Please get help and please leave him, no matter how hard it might seem to do that. Please.

Fileboom Premium Account

Keep2share Premium PRO Account

sweet n nasty

Oh gosh Sebastian. What a reply. I am so thankful for you explaining things for me. It seems like the others were right. He's not a dom but an abuser after all (i was hoping not), and about me being a masochist, well i guess the reason i got angry at the people at the other forum and the reason i suddenly don't want to go to see my psychiatrist anymore is because deep down i don't think i am a masochist but have been conditioned to make myself enjoy pain and tolerate it in order to stay with my partner who sometimes gets rough. I am trying to teach myself to enjoy pain when in fact sometimes all this just makes me want to cry, scream or just feel like i'm going out of my mind. As you can see, it's so complicated not even i know what i am or what part i play in the whole scheme of things but what i do know is that i am so grateful for the responses i have had here. I am so glad that i have realised just hopw wonderful people can be in helping someone else out. You have helped clarify things for me which is what i came here for. Thankyou so much. Now the hard part is facing the truth.

Fileboom Premium Account

Free LIFE TIME Fileboom Premium

sebastian

SnN, I'm glad that what I said has helped you a little. Both BDSM and domestic violence involve the participants in somewhat paradoxical interactions, so it's no surprise that you've been very confused by what's happening. From the outside, BDSM can look like domestic violence, but from the inside they look nothing alike. Most doms are warm and caring men and women who inspire love and affection from their subs and most subs feel a sense of happiness, security, and satisfaction in the control, training, and pain they accept from their doms. Most abusers, from what I have seen and read, feel anger, frustration, and contempt toward their partners (although some feel love as well), and most victims of abuse feel fear, depression and anxiety from the control and pain their unwillingly receive from their abusers (although often mixed with love and confusion about what is happening).

Keep in mind that a true masochist is someone who derives sexual pleasure from physical pain. Masochists are generally not confused about what arouses them, are not self-defeating in their relationships, and are not emotional wrecks. Your therapist shouldn't be calling you a masochist because in this case the term isn't being used in its technical sense but in the casual sense. You probably are a masochist in the casual meaning of the term--many victims of abuse are. But from what you've said, you don't seem to be a masochist in the technical fetish sense of the term.

Again, I can't emphasize too highly my sense that you need to leave this man before he seriously injures you. No matter how much you love him, you will never be able to get him to stop harming you. Whatever demons he's wrestling with go way too deep for you to fix. Your love, no matter how powerful it might be for him, cannot heal him. If you need any more incentive to leave him, ask yourself this: what happens if you get pregnant? Would you raise a child with this man, knowing that he will do to the child what he's doing to you? Because he absolutely will abuse any children you have with him.

Fileboom Premium Account