submissive self doubt (or a blatant plea for someone to tell me I don't suck)

kissik

MIRROR: Download from MEGA

I am submissive, currently single, but ideally I'd like to have a long-term relationship with a dominant guy.

So, I meet a guy, he's nice, laid back, he's looking for something long term, he's says he's a switch, but mostly dominant and doesn't think my lack of switchiness is a problem. We get on really well, spend an afternoon chatting and he kisses me before we go our separate ways. We chat online and he asks me a bit more about what I'm into etc, but I say I'd rather discuss it face to face.

Meet up with him a second time, in what I think is going to be another hanging out and getting to know each other, thing. But, well, lets just say our hormones won and we end up in bed together.

During this he asks several things of me. Most of which is fine, only at one point he tells me to do something that I'd consider a hard limit for me (we never managed to have the discussion on limits before we got to this point...), and I said no. Another thing is not a limit, but is not something I'm comfortable doing with a guy I just met and don't trust (and I say no again), and there is a third thing where we er, lack the equipment (he didn't bring the item, I don't own it).

So after this we are chatting online and I say that I'd like to see him again, although I have slight concerns about whether our interests match up - due to the thing he likes that is a hard limit for me, and the switch thing. He says he doesn't think its a problem, says he had a great time etc. Then today, he is now expressing doubts about me, specifically:

'You say No alot for a sub'

This upsets me. I know it shouldn't, but I like this guy, and there is part of me (despite not knowing him that well) that really wants to submit to him and please him etc, and it feels like I 'failed'. I tell him its early days and I don't know if I can trust him yet. He says:

'it's just not my idea of a sub'

So, urgh. Im now bouncing between feeling shitty and like I'm not submissive enough, and on the other side thinking, 'no, wait, I've never even agreed to submit to him, and I barely know him.'

I realise that a lot of the problem is the lack of talking/rushing into things, which I accept I should have handled differently (I will try to in the future). But knowing that is not really helping with the current self doubt and not knowing what to do next.

Fileboom Premium Account

Keep2share Premium PRO Account
Free LIFE TIME Fileboom Premium

I don't think you did anything wrong in saying no to something that is a hard limit for you. Even the thing that's just something you don't do with someone you know that well- thats still a limit.

As a dom I wouldn't even ask a sub to let me bind them if its our first meeting.

I feel that someone who truely understands what bdsm is all about would know this. There are things that are just off limits if a certain level of trust isn't engendered.

Fileboom Premium Account

sebastian

It's important to realize that not all doms subscribe to the notion that submission begins with the sub. Some feel that it starts with the dom taking charge. He may be working on this assumption. So I don't think the fault is yours at all--I think he's not being clear about his assumptions and how he wants to interact with you.

I would have an honest conversation with him about your limits and what you need to be able to trust him. If he won't listen or keeps insisting that you simply need to submit, then he's probably not a good match for you.

Fileboom Premium Account

kissik

Thanks all for replying. You all made me feel better :)

I do know I'm allowed to say no, but that doesnt stop my inner sub perfectionist from feeling I shouldn't ;), so thanks for the reassurance on that one.

I'm not sure I quite agree about 'earning' submission. Trust is earned, I guess, but I don't really see submission as some kind of treat I dole out. It's more that when I have that kind of rapport with someone I *want* to submit, but if the sensible adult bit of my brain won't shut up with the 'Im really not sure this is a good idea' stuff, it just doesn't work. But maybe I'm saying the same thing using different words.

Anyway, I took the advice about talking to him (specifically taking his cue about me not being 'his idea of a sub', to ask exactly what his idea of a sub was). He said he was dissapointed not to do all the stuff he wanted and that he needed 'more variety' in sex. Don't really know how I feel about it.

It doesn't help that the last dominant guy I went on a date with told me he didn't like 'games' and if I wasn't willing to become his tpe slave right then and there (after knowing him for all of two hours) he'd walk out becasue I wasn't submissive enough (I let him go). And the guy before that turned out not to be dominant at all, just a guy who was desperate to lose his virginity who thought a submissive girl would be easy.

I don't know whether to give up on dating, or start writing a kinky version of Bridget Jones Diary.

Fileboom Premium Account

kissik

Hee, yes you are perfectly right about not dating those particular people, but after a streak like that I do start to wonder whether its something I'm doing wrong...

Don't even get me started on 50 shades. Thanks to that book, on online dating sites where I declare my interests I've been getting messages of the 'aw, did you just read 50 shades?' or 'are you looking for mr grey?'... as if my sexuality is something I just put on to be trendy.

Fileboom Premium Account

SubIA

I know I'm very new to this forum, but there are a lot of men out there who THINK they are Dominants when in fact they are just manipulative users.

In my opinion, part of the dance (rather than use the word 'game') people do when dating is getting to know what the other person likes or doesn't like in the bedroom. You can talk, IM and email about it until your fingers are numb and your face turns blue, but until you actually get naked nd try to do things with each other, you just don't know.

It sounds like you and this guy need to get to know each other better in and out of the bedroom. Would it be so very awful to take some time nd just explore each others bodies without a D/s slant to it.

And on the peevish side, you're reminding me why I don't date much!

Fileboom Premium Account

Highspeaker

I wouldn't be worried at all. First of all, "you are saying no a lot for A sub" expresses quite well his knowledge about this world. WHICH sub?? yours?? anyone's sub?? ...
Don't know if you understad me (sorry for my english).

The point is that Dom and sub must, first of all, know each other well before starting the relationship, with no reproach, cause what is bad for me is probably pefect for any other. So, until he is your Dom and he really knows what is he saying, he should not tell you if you are a sub or you aren't. Then, after knowing each other, decide if they match. And after all, start a new relationship with the same problems , and as hard as any other relationship, quite similar solutions and, if everything works fine, changes that will bring improvements to that relationship.

So, if this guy knows the second day that you are saying no a lot, without knowing exactly why, without knowing if those limits could become a goal for both of us (this happens a lot) and without knowing many other things, just run fast and don't look back.

Don't forget he is supposed to be a switch, I mean, he should know the issues of a beginning from both sides of the table and don't seem to be very concerned about knowing the sub inside you at all.

Don't be worried, say no as many times as you need to feel confortable, save and confident with the guy you want to be your next Dom. And changes will come if they have to.

Is a hard way, many times "trial and error", but think this is a relationship of Domination and SUBMISSION. Along the relationship things should change, Dom should teach the sub how to behave according with his tastes and sub should learn according to her limits. This is not an obligued relationship but a chosen one, and must be with the right person.

Good luck ;)

Fileboom Premium Account