What do we think of "50 Shades of Grey"?

Moonlight

MIRROR: Download from MEGA

There are two basic reasons I think, Moonlight. The first is that BDSM is complex and paradoxical and hard for people to wrap their heads around unless they 'get' it. Why would you like someone doing something you don't like to you? Why would people hurt the people they love? From the outside, BDSM looks pretty unpleasant.

The other reason is that images of BDSM in the media are extremely negative (apart from occasional news reports and the like, which might be ok, or which might be "look at the freaks!"). In movies and TVs shows, male dome are evil killers, femdommes are ball-busting man-hating semi-dykes, male subs are a pathetic joke, and femsubs are victims of psychotic killers.

Ah yes I do believe I just watched an episode of Criminal Minds like that. He was an evil killer.

Honestly we look quiet normal. I have my friends I can let loose and not worry and then there are the ones we are careful around, well except on Saturday. It has been a horrible week and we were not as careful how we were talking. I don't think that person will come back. I did warn her though so if she was shocked oh well. :D

Fileboom Premium Account

Keep2share Premium PRO Account

edjixxx

.....what would be the ramifications if TV shows took BDSM, and showed it in a positive light. Showed it for what it really is? I wonder if there'd be such a backlash from the different ummm, "interest groups", we'll call them, that the show would be instantly cancelled? People hate being shown a world that exists, that they either don't like, or makes them uncomfortable.

Fileboom Premium Account

Free LIFE TIME Fileboom Premium

Smallest

edjixxx-I imagine that it's the sexual nature if anything that would make it likely to be taken down, or the worry that it could be misconstrued a abuse (even if the movie portrayed it positively).

I don't really think it would be a problem, but since it's not a 'popular' thing outside closed doors, I doubt it will be shown- not because people dislike it, but because TV characters are supposed to be relatable, that's what makes shows sell.

Fileboom Premium Account

Moonlight

I have never watched the show's but they do have something called big love and sister wives. I have heard it is about multiple wives. I have no idea how much sexual content is in the show though. I do not like that type of reality show in general. I wonder if people accept multiple wives despite the bad press from that man being arrested for forcing girls as young as 10 to ' marry ' him that it would not be that unheard of for a tv show for our lifestyle to make it.

I do know that showtime program Spartacus has a lot. We thought it was going to be like the movies and got it off of netflix. We put it in and got up to get our pizza. My daughter was 5 at the time and it started with a very explicit sexual scene. She was staring with wide eyes at the screen while we both raced for the remote to turn it off. Nope not a family show.

Fileboom Premium Account

Last edited:

@Moonlight: A show about BDSM I think would really capture people's attention. I think they'd like it, honestly. Even if it was "offensive," you would just have to make sure that you added Dommes as well as male Doms (so it's not misconstrued by the feminist community)... But you might have to play it down on the gay couples... Maybe. IDK Gay couples and their public lives are starting to be OK to show on TV without offending someone, but I believe that their sexual lives are still considered too taboo for a lot of people.

And I think it was CSI that had portrayed a man being a pet/puppy to a woman and I think that one was portrayed in a positive light and then there was one about a pony play farm that was for-sure portrayed in a positve "This is weird, but it's what people do," kind of light.

Fileboom Premium Account

Moonlight

I think they could pull it off and keep it PG so parents would not be offended. Personally I am only mad when I have my little girl with me and someone is in my face with things I do not want her seeing. But then again with a television show people do have the option to change the channel.

But when Harry Potter came out witches were everywhere, Twilight brought on other spin off shows as well and now this book is out so I do think it is just a matter of time.

I am curious now I may have to get on amazon and order it. If I hate it I am sure I can find someone who will take it off my hands.

Fileboom Premium Account

Last edited:

edjixxx

Moonlight, it's an okay series, I've all but finished the series, few pages left. The author very diligently attempted to do her best. But, forewarned, it's obvious fiction. It's going to portray good and bad BDSM, and will play the sub "saves" the Dom, with a Cinderella-type story line. It's interesting. Considering, the last book I read through was in 6the grade, and was Red Storm Rising, and I'm 29 now. So, it's worth the read, IMHO.

Fileboom Premium Account