What do we think of "50 Shades of Grey"?

MIRROR: Download from MEGA

So I have to admit I'm not up to speed on the whole fan fiction thing.

But skimming the Wikipedia page for this novel it looks like the author changed the character names in order to get around the copyright issues, and because her fan fiction had sexual themes.

I agree with Sebastian though - it's walking a fine line. But I guess "parody" is a fair use defence in the USA. It would not be under UK copyright law.

If I was the owner of the Twilight series rights I guess I'd be asking for a kickback :)

Fileboom Premium Account

Keep2share Premium PRO Account
Free LIFE TIME Fileboom Premium

edjixxx

I'm mostly through the second book, and it's fairly.....odd. the character that it's written from is "normal " while the Dom is all about using BDSM to iconify his past. In the second half of the book, it's fairly obvious the book is written so that the main character changes the Dom to a vanilla way of life. Unless there's some change in the plot, which, is fairly predictable. The words used are obvious it's British writer, and word wise, it's distracting to read, as it gets annoying seeing vague words describing intimate parts. It was written to appeal to the vanilla crowd of middle aged women. While we, as enthusiasts, may find some meaning in it, there doesn't seem to be much. It's easier to write about, and read about fantasy feelings than write a book about the BDSM lifestyle. I don't know, BDSM is part of it, but very limited. It's mostly about little girl with poor background meets rich 'fucked up' dude, and all his rich friends. She knows he's different, but seems to choose flaunting riches and cute guys around. Sorry if I spoiled any of the book.

Fileboom Premium Account

Yeah - I agree that it's odd.

I'm not finding that I'm empathizing with either of the lead characters.

On the one hand Anastasia is too drippy - but on the other hand she seems "too good to be true" for a Dom to discover. There's some hint that she's trying to assert herself on Christian where I just got to in the story (let's face it - women always want to change their man...that must be a challenge for a female sub!).

Christian is just...weird. Are we supposed to believe that being a sub to his mother's best friend somehow "damaged him"? Holy crap - that's another wildest dream come true for a lot of us!

I sent the lady who recommended me this book a copy of The Story of O. I told her that if she's going to read "racy fiction" (her term) then it might as well be good racy fiction! She's "vanilla", as Christian would put it...and I suspect 50 Shades is her first experience of S&M fiction. How sad.

Fileboom Premium Account