Wax Play Questions

Discussion in 'Safety aspects of BDSM' started by Foreverbunny91, Jun 5, 2012.

LIFE TIME Keep2Share PREMIUMLIFE TIME Keep2Share PREMIUM
  1. Ok so it's not an emergency but I need a quick response.

I've got homemade candles with various colors and scents (oil) made with soy mixed with regular pliable wax. (not sure which kind?) I've also got regular candles, some unscented and white from Walmart.

Is it safe to use these, and will they leave burns or marks? And on the pain scale, what is typical for wax play? 10 being I just got stabbed in the gut, 5 being a lashed with a thin whip and 1 being nothing?

Free LIFE TIME Fileboom Premium
  2. Smallest

Smallest Moderator

Go with something unscented, you don't want hot oil on your skin. A good alternative would also be heating up the plain wax.

It's a two for me for burns and pain, but if it starts dripping fast and sporadically it gives me an insane headache.

3. sebastian

sebastian Active Member

Take a look at this (both you and your dom) before you start exploring this.
    http://www.kufs.org/waxplayinfo.htm

There are several important things to think about, but the central safety issue is the melting point of the wax involved; it needs to be fairly low (120-130s), to avoid burning the sub. You want to use paraffin or soy candles, not beeswax (which has a higher melting point). Colored candles have a slightly higher melting point (+2-4 degrees), so clear candles are better, but many people like colored candles. The same is true of scented candles. Avoid candles that have metallic foil or similar additives.
    Do not use dripless candles--they burn hot.

The other important factor is the drop distance. If the drop distance (from candle to skin) is too small, the wax will still be quite hot and may burn. If it is too large, the wax will have cooled and won't be much fun. So your dom will need to experiment slowly, starting with a large drop distance and gradually lessening it to find the sweet spot.

Give some thought to clean-up. Wax play is very messy. Use a drop cloth, and think about using some baby oil on the skin first. I've never done wax play, so don't just take my word for it. Read up on it.

4. Moonlight

Moonlight Member

That must be why I never get burned. Not sure what type he uses but I am never burned by the melted wax.

5. LOL. No Dom. Just me... Interesting story. Oh, and of course, if I ever manage to work up the guts to pursue *other* adventures, it would be useful to know as much as possible about stuff like this.

Thank you, Sebby:) That was exactly what I was looking for. For some reason, I found sites saying the types of WAX that could be used, but not the type of candles. LOL.

6. RopeRanger

RopeRanger Member

Bunny any homemaker, Yankee candle, colored, scented foo-foo candle is going to burn like hell. The oils used to add the scent and is going to burn hot. Pure white paraffin candles work best. Check out the Mexican food section of your supermarket.

7. I moved back in with my mother, who has one of those things that melts paraffin wax for dipping your hands/feet in (it's good for your skin), and I actually used that on my submissive two nights ago:) I, of course, tested it on myself first ;)

8. Smallest

Smallest Moderator

I'm glad it went well! Also, I changed the thread name, seeing as it's no longer urgent at all.

9. TricksDomme

TricksDomme New Member

I have used both paraffin candles and special candles they make specific for wax play (soy) in the past, both work quite well.

10. diegocouto

diegocouto New Member

I use homemade soy candle, my Queen use close to the skin It burns a little bit but nothing impossible to handled. Be a nice sub and take it all. Next try dropping in genitals is nice felling after and the reward for being a nice sub is great!!! ;)

11. Usualy

Usualy Active Member

used special paraffin candles for wax play...

LIFE TIME Keep2Share PREMIUMLIFE TIME Keep2Share PREMIUM