Switch is a "dirty word"?

RS1981

MIRROR: Download from MEGA

I just read an article written in 2002 about how the BDSM community views switches, and it kind of surprised me. It also says that switching is becoming more accepted, but I'm not entirely sure why people even look at it as a problem. I mean the participant goes into a play session with an intention to act a certain way, so it's not like they'd deviate from that in the middle of it all of a sudden right? I guess even in BDSM people sometimes only accept things in black and white terms.

Fileboom Premium Account

Keep2share Premium PRO Account

sebastian

In many areas, BDSM started out with a fairly rigid hierarchy to it. You started as a bottom and eventually graduated to topping. That system started to erode in the late 90s (as I understand it), but many older players still feel that's the appropriate model. Switching didn't really have a place in the scene in a formal way.

Fileboom Premium Account

I wouldn't place too much importance on a single article.

One reason I could see is that one could view switches as basically not into BDSM at all. Many people draw a line between kink and BDSM at the point where authority comes into play.
(I.E. many couples will play with handcuffs and call it kinky, but few will put words or awareness to the power play that is involved.)
Since all BDSM authority is both arbitary and makebelieve (if it weren't it would be abuse), someone that switches could be seen as simply kinky because he or she denies the authority structure many view as a defining characteristic of BDSM. That view would make a switch someone that is not part of the BDSM scene at all and thus give the term a bad conotation.

However, one should be aware that this is an attempt to classify something that has as many definitions as it has particioners. Since BDSM is ultimately about the personal reaction to an external input, there is simply no right or wrong way to it.

Fileboom Premium Account

Frostig

I'm one that can't switch... I've tried and didn't like it mentally and physically, I know its for fun but being submissive just made me feel weak and worthless when I know I am strong. And when I got whipped... well I kinda lost it ^.^"

Again I know that bdsm is meant for fun but I look in it a little deeper in a more romantic way.. a lost kitten, wanting my shelter, wanting to be punished, wanting to serve me. So I let her in.. feed her, bath her, brush her hair, keep her safe in my warm in my arms during the night... etc.. but in return she will serve me. (Can get into more details but making this short)

Sorry if im rambling on but anyhow! That's why I don't switch, im muchmore comfortable being Dom and yet knowing the pet is happy and would be more then happy to serve me. And as we know the submissive partner has got to be willing and comfortable with things to even start. Nothing wrong with switching though

Fileboom Premium Account

RS1981

All good points. I'm not drawing any conclusions on a single article, it just gave me something to think about. From a certain point of view, one could argue that she is not technically a switch since she views men as more worthy than women. She refuses to be dominated by another woman, but she respects the traditional hierarchy that men dominate them. I hope that doesn't sound sexist because obviously I respect her, but she knows her place with me.

Fileboom Premium Account

@RS it does sound sexist but that is because you build your argument on a misconception (I think).

Sociologically speaking, gender doesn't play that much of a role. The traditional hirarchy of the world is not build on the notion of men dominate women, but that the strong dominate the weak. Men are generally physically stronger than woman and in less civilized times physical strength equaled social standing. Also, due to religion and a (wrong) equation of physical and mental prowess has lead to the notion that dominance is a question of gender alone. However, history is filled with women who have proven that notion wrong. (Just look at the numerous female monarchs that ruled their respective nations successfully and completely, often longer than most men.)

Since our perception of sexuality is always intertwined with our perception of society, its easy to think that men should dominate women, but in reality, its just a question of preference. Case in point, I have met more submissive men than women so far.

If you and your partner adhere to certain protocols of social standing, that is fine, but always be aware that she is submissive because she wants to be, not because she is a woman. Down the road of unawareness sexism and prejudice lies. ;)

It may well be that I am taking this whole thing too serious and sound like a lecturer again. If that is the case, sorry.

@Frost, I can't switch either. At least, not yet and my interests to give it a shot are limited. I am dominant and thats that. Still, nothing wrong with switching in my book. Whatever rocks your boat I always say.

Fileboom Premium Account

RS1981

Fair enough, I don't mean to sound sexist and I'm not implying that men are superior in any way, we both have our strengths and they compliment each other. I'm just saying that, given the soft nature that most women generally give off, it's easy to come under the impression that they are meant to be dominated just because. I don't fall under that false impression at all, I just find it to be fun (Just like all of us Doms here) to feel like I'm in control in the relationship, even though there are obviously boundaries. After a while you stop thinking about those boundaries though it just becomes second nature and you get that full power feeling.

Fileboom Premium Account

Sorry, I forgot the "I don't mean to insinuate you are in fact sexist" line. Ops. :)

I see your point though, repeated action breeds habbit.
One could argue that a large part of the oppression of women throughout history could be based in that very mechanism. Society getting used to a ritual that eventually becomes the norm. Though, this does sound a little too apologetic for my tastes. Individuals make choices on a daily basis and that choice was perpetuated too long and consistently to be attributed to be just a habbit.

Fileboom Premium Account

RS1981

Yeah that happens to be one of my own habits, in everyday life I tend to sound overly apologetic if I'm defending an opinion. And you're right, BDSM is a choice, just like most everything else in life. And just like everything else, that choice can have consequences. I carefully weighed the pros and cons of the lifestyle, and mapped out a plan about how I would go about it. Then after repeated practice of those plans, eventually it just came to be something I'm comfortable with. Actually at first I had the impression that most vanillas have about the lifestyle, then I came to understand that the misconceptions just aren't true.

Fileboom Premium Account