Slight dilemma - can anyone help?

MIRROR: Download from MEGA

I don't know if anyone can help me out, but I have a problem regarding the cleaning of PVC.

I have a PVC dress, which has a PVC collar attached to it by means of several chains. This collar fastens not with a buckle, but with a velcro strap. This fastened too loosely for my scrawny neck, so I had to buy a longer velcro strip, self adhesive, to make it fit properly.

This velcro strip didn't really work, however, so I had to remove it. I wore the dress for a photoshoot, with the collar done up loosely with the original velcro strip, but the collar was still sticky from the adhesive of the added strip and stuck painfully to my neck, leaving painful red marks and even tearing out several of my hairs when it was unfastened :(

My master is confident that he can transform the collar with a buckle, but the problem is, it's still sticky. I've tried scrubbing at the adhesive with washing up liquid, but this didn't work, and the collar is still just as sticky :(

Is anyone able to advise on a method, or specific product, which will successfully move this sticky adhesive residue, but without damaging the PVC?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me :)

Fileboom Premium Account

Keep2share Premium PRO Account

Sparrow69

goo gone could damage the vinyl, im going to suggest a green dish scrubber (its like a sponge, only rough) and alcohol, the rubbing cind, but vodka would work just as well. It'll require a lil bit of elbow grease, but the alcohol will loosen the bonds and not damage the pvc. you could also use an acetone free fingernail polish remover, but anything with acetone will melt the pvc.

Fileboom Premium Account

Thanks for the advice both :)

Sparrow, it was a scrubber you described that I used the first time; I thought its rough texture would possibly be enough in itself to fix the problem, but seemingly not. In fact, tiny 'bobbles' of it got stuck to the adhesive :(

Now I must find the cheapest bottle of vodka I can, and then once the PVC is clean I can get pissed on the leftover vodka to celebrate :D I'll let you know how it goes when I get chance to try this, anyway :)

Fileboom Premium Account

GreyMac

I agree with sparrow, Alcohol is always my first choice becaus it does not cause any damage. If that doesn't work, WD-40 will remove the adhesive and not harm the PVC. Spray it on a paper towel or cloth and wipe in one direction until the adhesive is gone. Then wipe with a water soaked towel. If there is a lot of adhesive, switch cloths after the majority of the residue is gone to a second one with a lighter amount of WD-40.

WD-40 will remove glue/adhesive residue or petroleum based products from just about anything.

Fileboom Premium Account