Seeking Rope and Toys

Sleepy

MIRROR: Download from MEGA

Well then, slowly but surely my pet and I are building our relationship. This means of course there are times where I wish I had certain toys, and most importantly rope. While I've studied various knots over the years, I've never been able to implement them into play because I do not have safe or appropriate rope. So my question is mostly about rope, however suggestions for others are always nice.

I'm a rope-o-phile, every play party I've been to I enjoyed the bondage of rope. I'd like to make an extensive collection, starting with nylon rope and slowly building to hemp. I know rope in and out, but my biggest fear is purchasing low quality without knowing it, or spending far to much for rope in general. Where can I purchase rope suitable for play? Since I'm not going to be doing suspension for a while (or with nylon rope due to cinching and risk of cutting off veins/arteries), I don't need hemp rope. Since nylon is cheaper in general, I'm just curious where I can purchase it.

My second major question is this. I'd like to build up a fully functional rope collection, what would qualify as 'enough rope for almost anything except suspension' look like? I'd like to be able to do a lot of things at once (so I assumed about 20 ropes ranging from 10-30 ft in length), but how much do I need to consider the gauge of the rope? Essentially I know 7/16" can fit most non-suspension ties, but I'd like to know what other gauges I should consider and the general use for those gauges.

Also if you know good stores for toys, dropping a link would help too, I only know a couple of 'good' stores with trustworthy gear. I don't like the shops that sell 'novelty' bondage gear, it's generally to low quality to be taken seriously. One thing I'm looking for in particular is the panic release clips (the ones that you don't need to remove weight from to release the bindings from).

Fileboom Premium Account

Keep2share Premium PRO Account

Sleepy

A follow up, I found a 600' roll of 3/8" Twisted Polypropylene, however I don't know how this type of rope would feel on the skin. It says it has a safe working load of over 300 lb (and seeing as my pet is about 110 lb tops that is more than sturdy enough). I'm worried though about how it would feel, how easy it is to clean/oil, and how well it conforms to knots. Has anyone worked with this type of rope?

Fileboom Premium Account

Free LIFE TIME Fileboom Premium

L8NightQ

3/8" sounds like what I'm using now. (haven't had to think about it for a while) Remember that most of us usually fold the rope so that we are working with a double line instead of a single one. I have had closer to 1/2 or 7/16 but it makes the knots a lot thicker, so consider that, and when you get to real hemp, the knots will be bigger still .

I like the braided rope. The twisted nylon unravels so easily. Both have to be sealed or whipped at the ends anyway. One nice thing about the twisted is that the marks are unmistakable. You know it was rope. You can seal it with heat, which will fuse the strands together, but leaves it hard and scratchy, or use glue or rubber cement. What's best is to whip the ends with thread. It lasts the longest.
You should also whip the midpoint of each rope. Makes it easier to work with on the fly.

When I first started I had some 6 foot segments, but I never used them so they're in a drawer now.
My shortest segments are 9 - 12 feet. It comes in handy for simple wrist binding, ankle to thigh, and for anchoring a rear tie to a collar, etc...
I have 4 or 5 that are double that length, and another 4 that are triple length so I guess I keep about a dozen or so in the bag.

There have been a couple of times when I've used them all, but most of the time I use a little over half.

I have practiced some suspension ties, but have not actively used them because of anchoring concerns. I don't worry about a single strand being able to hold over 300 pounds, since I would be using multiple ropes when I do. To me, the anchor is the most important point.

When you do get into suspensions - here's one of my bookmarks that has some quick guidelines
http://www.bdsm-chicago.com/cram/TUTS_suspension_weightload.htm

Also, make sure you get a couple of panic snaps for quick release. If you don't know what they are, look them up.
Two concerns here...... When you use them, keep a towel nearby. I tried to do a quick release but had lube on my hands and had a real hard time.
Also, be very careful when doing a quick release cause once you do, your sub will drop. Even if not, if your sub is strappado (arms pinned back and raised to force her head down), you CANNOT just release the tension. It must be done slowly to give the tendons and joints a chance to adjust.

You probably know this, but you should have surgical sheers that can cut the rope quickly if your sub gets in trouble, or a sharp knife for thicker lengths of rope that the sheers won't cut.

When I first started I used thicker rope but I get much better reaction to the lighter, thinner rope. The finished presentation makes her look more like a work of art, than I tied up victim.

For most ties, especially for harnesses I use multiple 24 to 27 foot lengths. I could use longer ones. You'd be surprised how quickly it goes.

Fileboom Premium Account

L8NightQ

Polypropyline - isn't that the hard shiny boat anchor and swimming pool rope?

If it is, don't bother. You sub will prefer the softer nylon. I really don't think you will like it either.

I don't know where you live, but if it's here in the states, Home Depot is your bondage superstore. For your initial stuff, it won't be hard to find the rope you need most anywhere.

Please learn the dynamics of rope bondage. I don't know what you meant when you said you know rope inside and out.
Just in case it doesn't mean what I originally thought, please learn about support points, joints, inside or outside knots and crosses, circulation and nerve effects before you start to go crazy and your sub pays for it.

Fileboom Premium Account