Sadism and BDSM, a paradox?

subspace

Sparrow69

MIRROR: Download from MEGA

I didn't mean any disrespect, I thought it would be an interesting discussion.

I wasn't referring to the discussion being disrespectful, I was referring to the name. There was an issue a while back with a "prissy" who is no longer allowed here.

Subspace is correct. It's the definition that seems to be off. As I said, you were looking at Sadist incorrectly, and making the common misconception that all sadists are Sociopaths, which is simply not the case.

I am a sadist both in and out of the BDSM community, even though I live a 24/7 BDSM life. However I still feel pity for children who step on landmines in wor torn countries, a sociopath would not.

Fileboom Premium Account

Keep2share Premium PRO Account

MissPrissy

I wasn't referring to the discussion being disrespectful, I was referring to the name. There was an issue a while back with a "prissy" who is no longer allowed here.

Subspace is correct. It's the definition that seems to be off. As I said, you were looking at Sadist incorrectly, and making the common misconception that all sadists are Sociopaths, which is simply not the case.

I am a sadist both in and out of the BDSM community, even though I live a 24/7 BDSM life. However I still feel pity for children who step on landmines in wor torn countries, a sociopath would not.

Oh, I see .. thanks for letting me know, I was worried that this type of discussion was forbidden or something. :)
I guess I could change my name if I have to?

But as for the sadist definition, I think psychology uses a definition of sadist more in the sociopath direction, while BDSM uses the same word "sadist" to mean a person who cares about the one she causes pain to, and where the pain caused is not necessarily felt as pain, but a combination of both pain and pleasure. Does that make sense?

I've heard a lot of people use the term "sadist" to describe someone really cruel, and if the general public thinks the 'S' in BDSM is the same type of cruelty then that's sad.

Fileboom Premium Account

Sparrow69

Don't get it wrong, I am EXTREMELY cruel. Read some of my previous posts, especially in regards to punishments. Both Definitions Are correct...

By definition:

sa⋅dism   /ˈseɪdɪzəm, ˈsædɪz-/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [sey-diz-uhm, sad-iz-] Show IPA
–noun
1. Psychiatry. sexual gratification gained through causing pain or degradation to others. Compare masochism.
2. any enjoyment in being cruel.
3. extreme cruelty.

[After Comte Donatien Alphonse François de Sade.] sa'dist n., sa·dis'tic (sə-dĭs'tĭk) adj., sa·dis'ti·cal·ly adv.

mas⋅och⋅ism   /ˈmæsəˌkɪzəm, ˈmæz-/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [mas-uh-kiz-uhm, maz-] Show IPA
–noun
1. Psychiatry. the condition in which sexual gratification depends on suffering, physical pain, and humiliation.
2. gratification gained from pain, deprivation, degradation, etc., inflicted or imposed on oneself, either as a result of one's own actions or the actions of others, esp. the tendency to seek this form of gratification.
3. the act of turning one's destructive tendencies inward or upon oneself.
4. the tendency to find pleasure in self-denial, submissiveness, etc.

I've heard a lot of people use the term "sadist" to describe someone really cruel, and if the general public thinks the 'S' in BDSM is the same type of cruelty then that's sad.
BDSM = Bondage and Dicipline Sadomasochism How is that Sad? the "S" does stand for Sadism.... Just because some practice it to a stronger degree then others doesn't mean any are wrong. The BDSM community is not one of judgments, rather it is one of acceptance.

Fileboom Premium Account

Last edited:

MissPrissy

EZRA

Excellent.
In my humble opinion psychology is an infant science that consistently fails to grasp the larger picture of peoples life's therefore is usualy incapable of helping them. And spends entirely too much time pigeonholing diognoise simply because it hasn't developed enough to be able to place the diognoises in a broader spectrum, making it more acurate and usefull.

You must understand they are still trying to understand basic function's of our brains, like learning, memory,and the function emotions play in our every day life. So it's not at all surprising that the definition of Sadist would be lacking in the subtle nuances that would separate it from the sociopathic form and the more common humanistic form.

There; Sparrow simplifies and I obfiscate.

Fileboom Premium Account