Replacing toys

sebastian

MIRROR: Download from MEGA

No one on the list seems to be talking, so I'll just throw out a question I've thought a bit about lately.

Twice in the past couple of months, when I've been playing, subs have broken toys. In both cases, it was a wrist shackle (to be specific, in both cases they broke the D-ring connecting the shackle to a rope). There's no cheap way to fix it--the shackle basically has to be replaced.

So what I'm wondering is, does a sub have a responsibility to offer to help pay to replace a broken toy? On the one hand, it's not the sub's toy, it's mine. Multiple subs have used it, so it was likely the accumulated wear that broke it. On the other hand, the sub was having a lot of fun and got a little carried away with his struggles. If I can't replace it, neither that sub nor any future sub will have that fun. And expecting the Dom to pay for it puts a lot of financial burden on the Dom.

So what do people think? In a casual play situation, if a toy breaks, ought the sub offer to cintribulate to replacing it? Is failing to offer to pay a breach of etiquette?

Fileboom Premium Account

Keep2share Premium PRO Account

AnErieGuy

I think as the provider of location, situation, and exploitation(of a sub's qualities :p) then yes, you are expected(Note the word usage) to buy and replace broken items. The better idea though, is that, saying I was a sub to you and in this situation, I would at the very least offer SOME compensation for the item in question. Though, in the case that you are buying what appears to be very cheap(not in price) bondage equipment, maybe you should find other sources, far as I know metal doesn't break easily and leather can be maintained to the point where it is REALLY hard to tear, though, you might not be maintaining it properly, which is understandable. Granted, I've never even messed with cuffs outside of my Dad's own(he's a cop) so I say this with no foreknowledge on the topic other than the concept.

Fileboom Premium Account

Free LIFE TIME Keep2Share PRO Account

RenamonX

Personally Id see it as the doms responsibility. However...thats in my position, where my sub/pet is my gf as well, so basically I bought them for her as presents so id happily replace them. If your a dom with several subs and its due to just wear and tear, then dom, but if its due to some overuse by a specific sub I would say either the sub would replace or, or perhaps split he difference. I guess it just depends on the situation. Perhaps buying another one could be incorporated into a punishment or somesuch, paying for toys/restraints/etc used to punish them might be a nice way of humiliation hehe ^^

Fileboom Premium Account

sebastian

Erie, the cuffs in question were $50 leather cuffs from Strict Leather. In both cases the D-ring, which was 1/8th inch, snapped clean in half with no warning. They might have been defective D-rings, but they certainly looked solid.

I guess the issue I see is the subs are getting the benefit of the toys I choose to buy, but paying none of the cost, which seems a little imbalanced.

Fileboom Premium Account

L8NightQ

Hey Seb -
Thanks for starting the thread. I thought we freaked out that summer was over.

As far as your question goes, there's only one way for me to see it.....

The sub cannot be responsible for under-estimations regarding their restraints.

As the Dom/me-s, we have a responsibility for restraining our toys so that they can feel helpless. If they break out, how is that their problem, or mistake? (even in casual play)
And if you tell them that they are responsible for breaking the tools you use to restrain them, how can they feel truly helpless?

I guess you could just tell them that if they break your cuffs they will be punished, but I wouldn't take it any further than that.

Our goal is to make them feel that they "cannot" escape, not that they "should not" escape. Making them think about that responsibility would change some of the flavor of the scene for both of you. That's gotta be worth more than 50 bucks.

I use the same sort of cuffs a lot in play, because it takes less time, I enjoy making the toy put them on in front of me, and they provide for quick release.
I also use the D-ring as the anchor for the ropes that further restrain her.

I hadn't even considered that something like that might snap, so I'm glad you mentioned it, but let's take this question to the extreme level.......

What if you used your equipment (any that's necessary) to bind your sub and hang him upside down from the cieling. Let's say that a critical piece of your restraint system, like, oh, let's say, the anchor that is he is hanging from..... fails, breaks, snaps, etc.....

Will you charge him for the part that broke, and maybe charge him to clean up all that blood that got on your floor?

I know this is an extreme example, but sometimes I take it that far to test the principle

By the way...... have you tried looking up a saddle shop, or something of the sort to fix your cuff? It sounds like the leather wasn't damaged, just the D-ring snapped. A saddle shop, or even a shoe repair (with a heavy duty stitcher) could pull the stitches, replace the D-ring, and put it back together. If you supply the D-ring (may as well do both) of the proper strength it shouldn't cost more than 30 or 40 and you'll have an even stronger set of cuffs. A real saddle shop can even replace rivets.
If not, I think there are leather shops here in chicago that you could send them to for a quick fix. I'll ask around for you.

Let me know if you fix or just replace. I guess when dealing with guys and pain play you need some heavy duty stuff, and reinforcements (ha ha).

Hope this helps.

Fileboom Premium Account

sebastian

L8NightQ

Wow... that was fast.
I'm pretty sure Monica is the owner.

Here's her reply

Monica <[email protected]> to

Wow - How does a D-Ring break? That's kinda scary. ;o)
I'd have to see a photo of the cuff to know what's involved; am not familiar with their stuff -- but am also curious why they won't fix it.
If it appears to be a simple job, sure -- I can do it pretty cheap; have to see it first via photo, please. :)

Monica

If you like - follow up

Let me know what happens

Fileboom Premium Account