Need router advice... Weird place to ask but meh lol

RS1981

MIRROR: Download from MEGA

I'm asking here because it's the section for whatever I wanna talk about, plus I really don't feel like making an account with a computer forum, too lazy lol... So I just got cable internet and the modem I got doesn't have wireless capabilities. It also doesn't have an extra ethernet port for my XBox. I'm not computer savvy but aren't most modems made with a built in wireless router, or is that just DSL? I need a wireless router to hook up my XBox through ethernet and Wii through wi-fi but I'm not sure what to buy. I'd rather not spend more than $100 but I will if I really have to, can anyone help?

Fileboom Premium Account

Keep2share Premium PRO Account
Free LIFE TIME Keep2Share PRO Account

L8NightQ

You never said what company you are working with.

Most post instructions on how to hook up a wireless router to their modem with no problem.

Also, the company that made your router of choice often has instructions on how to hook up.

If you want cheap you're gonna get 802.11 g standard. The N standard is more expensive.

You won't want to hook up your x-box to wireless. you're better off running a line to the router. They usually have 4 wired ports in the back for this. It's much faster.

Remember that if your router is close to anything else electrical it will need to be reset all the time. Wireless telephones are the worst, but printers, modems, televisions, etc... do it too.

Netgear is pretty cheap and pretty reasonable.

I assume you're using pc not mac.

You should be able to do everything for less than $50 or so.

Fileboom Premium Account

Last edited:

RS1981

You never said what company you are working with.

Most post instructions on how to hook up a wireless router to their modem with no problem.

Also, the company that made your router of choice often has instructions on how to hook up.

If you want cheap you're gonna get 802.11 g standard. The N standard is more expensive.

You won't want to hook up your x-box to wireless. you're better off running a line to the router. They usually have 4 wired ports in the back for this. It's much faster.

Remember that if your router is close to anything else electrical it will need to be reset all the time. Wireless telephones are the worst, but printers, modems, televisions, etc... do it too.

Netgear is pretty cheap and pretty reasonable.

I assume you're using pc not mac.

You should be able to do everything for less than $50 or so.

I went with Comcast. Yeah I'm pretty sure I don't need N standard, I don't need it through my whole apartment. I know what you mean about the Xbox though, I intend to hook that to an ethernet port and use the wireless for Wii. Great advice though, thanks everyone.

Fileboom Premium Account

L8NightQ

I believe when Comcast sets up their internet, they ask for which computer it's to be hooked up to, then they use the IP address from that one as a reference point for their modem.

This is common. Use the instructions on how to clone the IP address to your router. Instructions should be pretty easy to find.

Again your router vendor will help also. I've seen the instructions for Netgear on the web.

Good luck.

Fileboom Premium Account

RS1981

L8 I went with your advice and looked into Netgear, and I found one that seems REALLY good for an awesome price on Newegg, only $60 and it has b/g/n standard with a huge memory transfer rate, actually overkill but whatever lol. I'm using it with a modem I bought that actually gives me 25 mbps according to the speed test I did, which is faster than the 15 mbps package I signed up for. Not sure if that really makes a difference but it does according to a friend of mine. Thanks for your suggestion, now I can't wait to finally get back on Xbox live. :D

Fileboom Premium Account

Last edited: