Mental States

Div

MIRROR: Download from MEGA

Hi everyone. I've lurked on these forums off and on for a few months now. I've read the newcomer's FAQ but I still have sort of a block and I haven't seen it discussed.

Some background. I met my current girlfriend last year. It took a few months but she eventually told me that she's into being submissive. Apparently she was worried that I would judge her or something to that effect, but I don't. I'm completely open to the idea and quite enjoy exploring being dominant. I've always been the dominant one in sexual situations, but not to this degree. So it's all new and exciting to me.

That said, I'm finding that I have two separate mindsets. One is the one I use in normal life. I make a lot of jokes, try to be kind/understanding, etc. The other one is... I guess more forceful? It's hard to explain, but it's different. My hope is that some other people here know what the hell I'm talking about and will understand. In regular life, my girlfriend and I are very egalitarian, but when it comes to sex-based endeavors, we're in different roles. I'm stating obvious things now. The point is, I have two mental states: master and regular.

That's all well and good, I don't mind the separation. However, I have a great difficulty switching between the two well. Sometimes we'll be sitting on the couch, and I'll think "you know, I really wish she were tied down to the bed naked right now," but I can't outwardly make that transition when we're sitting there watching Gilmore Girls (don't judge me, Gilmore Girls was an awesome show). It takes me a long time to transition from regular me to being her master, and it often seems to necessitate a period of silence between us, and that doesn't really happen until later in the night, and by that point I know all she wants to do is sleep. I don't like to force her into sex when she truly doesn't want to be forced, if that makes sense. That turns into kind of a vicious cycle. Her sexual appetite seems to be dictated by how often and how effectively I am able to be her master.

So, I hit kind of a wall. I know she wants to be told what to do, but it takes me forever to make that transition from regular life to being able to tell her what to do. I really want to get into the more consistent aspects of what I guess you call bdsm. Sending her to work with a rope harness on, that kind of thing. I'd like to eventually get to the point where she orgasms on command. I know that takes a long time to do and probably doesn't work for everyone, but I guess it's good to have goals, right? I don't really know where to start with that, but that's really not even at issue right now.

My assumption is that it has something to do with confidence, but I don't really know how to break myself of the habit. During the day, I dream up what I want to do when I see her later, but when I actually see her, the mood is so light that I can't make the transition from what is happening to what I wanted to do, or we just have other things that need to be done.

I've talked to her about all this, actually I think we've discussed it a couple of times, and while she reassures me that I don't need to be timid (relatively), it doesn't really help. So I don't know what to do.

Do you have separate mental modes? If so, do you or did you ever have difficulty segueing between them, and are there good ways to overcome this difficulty? Are there perhaps rules that could be implemented that would help me get into this more?

Fileboom Premium Account

Keep2share Premium PRO Account

decoyicus

I think I know what you are getting at your sexual identity and your public identity (how you act around people you are not fucking) are very different but you feel the two are conflicting at times I know how you feel in day to day life I am the funny flamboyant bisexual who flirts with anything over the age of consent but in the bedroom I am a domineering sadomasochist. I am completely new to BDSM so you might want to get advice from someone with more experience (Sebastian knows a lot) but I think you should talk to your GF about what you want out of your sexual relationship I've red about people doing the 24/7 BDSM thing and they seam pretty happy.

Fileboom Premium Account

sebastian

What you're talking about is the difference between bedroom bdsm and 24/7 bdsm. In a 24/7 relationship, the dom and sub are not egalitarian at any time (except when around those who are not into bdsm). So if you and your gf want to be egalitarian to some extent, you don't want 24/7. So you'll probably have to discuss the boundaries of your bdsm with her. Set whatever rules you like: Egalitarian until 8pm, or egalitarian on Tues, or egalitarian about money and dates but not about chores and sex and how she dresses.

But all this requires communication. Bdsm relationships require a good deal more conversation than vanilla relationship often do. Don't try to read her mind about when she wants egaliatarianism and when she wants domination; ask her what sort of boundaries she wants, explain what you want, and figure out something that meets your needs and wants. Once the relationship is more established and you learn her moods, it will go a little bit easier. But even then you'll want to talk with her occasionally about whether her needs have changed, whether she's satisfied or wants more or less egalitarianism, and what things you can do to keep the relationship fresh and growing.

When I first got into bdsm, which honestly wasn't very long ago, I had some difficulty making the shift between normal me and dominant me, and screwed up one very promising relationship by being too egalitarian at a key moment (long story, but the boy had pretty big issues). But as I've gotten more experienced and more confident, shifting has become much easier. So don't worry. You'll get there. It just takes time and practice and confidence.

Fileboom Premium Account

Div

This is actually helpful. I've asked her what frequency she wants domination, but her reply is generally to the effect of "whatever you think is best." I have no problems making decisions about things that I have experience in, but I don't really have experience in this, so I guess I just have to just throw a blind dart.

I always think it's so jarring to the submissive to just be told out of nowhere to start up something sexual, which is a big part of why I have trouble doing it. Do you ever just get effectively safeword rejected right from the get-go? Is that just not done? Or are you perhaps just suppose to know when it's a bad time? It's a difficult thing for me to wrap my head around, because in this culture "no" doesn't really mean "no," it seems to mean "hell yes!" The submissive is suppose to basically do what the dominant says, but then how does the submissive know when they need to just call time out? She's more experienced than I am so I guess I shouldn't worry about it so much.

Fileboom Premium Account

decoyicus

from what I have red two things that are key for the sub and the dom both having a good time is setting hard limits and soft limits hard limits being things you definitely wont do and soft limits as things you don't want to do right now but are not completely off limits the other thing is a safe word or the color system I personally like the sound of the color system green being keep going yellow being slow down orange is stop I'm having a problem and red is stop I don't like this

Fileboom Premium Account

Tumbl3

I like gypsy's idea of a necklace, but I think you should talk to her again. When it comes to the frequency of being dominated, she really needs to help you set that boundary. I'm still new to BDSM too, and to being a dom, and my puppy has tried the "whatever is good for you" answer. That answer would be okay if I was more experienced but I'm not. So I'll keep asking until I get an answer. For my puppy it's more of a "I don't want control so I'll let you choose" mentality, but the thing is, you gotta have SOMETHING to go upon.
Actually some subs (as far as I know [which isn't far lol]) like to be told out of nowhere to start something sexual. And you don't have to start with something extreme. If anything you can always work your sub up to it. I personally like seducing my puppy >:] but that's me.

Fileboom Premium Account

sebastian

You're going to have to discuss these sorts of things with her. You'll need to set rules with her about when she can use the safe word and when she just has to obey. She needs to understand that you're new to domming and still learning. I can't emphasize enough how important it is to communicate about this stuff. A lot of subs want their dom to be psychic, to know exactly what the sub wants and when, but this is unfair, particularly at the start of the relationship.

Fileboom Premium Account