Is the pleasure we get from SM purely sexual?

Smallest

MIRROR: Download from MEGA

So, the topic of this thread is the debate topic I got assigned for Phil Sex and Love.

For one, I was wondering if any of you had resources you could link me for my research (online's definitely best). I guess pretty much the only part i need to prove/disprove is if there are other kinds of pleasure derived.

And for another, I thought it would be an interesting discussion for us to have, especially because pretty much no one's posting in any discussion threads today today (deocoyicus, I saw your thread but I don't know what to say yet).

I don't think it's purely sexual by personal opinion, but I haven't started the scientific research into it. From the back of my mind, I know that pain causes the release of endorphins and that makes you happier, but that could be sexual as well. Still, I think there's a physical and mental enjoyment other than the sexual side, as well as the satisfaction after.

Fileboom Premium Account

Keep2share Premium PRO Account

Luna

That is a very interesting question you pose and there are so many perspective ways to view it.
I believe, depending upon the individual relationship, and taking into account what aspects of BDSM you participate in, that yes, there is a higher gratification there. There is the bond created between two people, an intimacy that does surpass the basic limbic response of pure sexual pleasure.
Does a true Sadist derive some pleasure other than on a sexual level? By definition, the answer would be no.
Sounds like fun research. I'll have to look around when I have more time.

Fileboom Premium Account

decoyicus

I have been sitting here for over an hour trying to think of a response, and I still don't think I have anything worthy of such a deep question but I will try.

I can only speak for myself on this but I don't think that its purely sexual, for me there are certainly a great deal of sexual elements too it but there is defiantly something more. What that something is however I am unsure of, this is something I have spent a great deal of time thinking about. I know that I dominate to feel powerful, to have the sense of absolute control and whether that is sexual or not I do not know. As for why I submit I'm still figuring it out and not ready to declare anything.

Fileboom Premium Account

Knots

That is a very interesting question you pose and there are so many perspective ways to view it.
I believe, depending upon the individual relationship, and taking into account what aspects of BDSM you participate in, that yes, there is a higher gratification there. There is the bond created between two people, an intimacy that does surpass the basic limbic response of pure sexual pleasure.
Does a true Sadist derive some pleasure other than on a sexual level? By definition, the answer would be no.
Sounds like fun research. I'll have to look around when I have more time.

A sadist is one who derives pleasure from other's pain; it does not need to be sexual pleasure.

Fileboom Premium Account

Last edited:

Knots

All right, but that depends on your definition of Sadist.
Clinically the definition of a Sadist specifies 'sexual gratification.'
All in all, very interesting topic.

No it doesn't. Within psychiatric diagnostic systems (such as the DSM, which isn't exactly an authority that can be ignored) "sexual sadism" is a specific paraphillia, and yields a seperate definition to the broader term, "sadism".

Sexual sadism is a particularly common form of sadism, which is why google searching sadism will produce a bias in this direction. It is advisable that people think about these sorts of things when using such search engines, so they're not mislead by the wealth of unfiltered information on the internet.

Fileboom Premium Account