How can I keep silk rope from fraying?

Discussion in 'General BDSM discussions' started by RS1981, Aug 8, 2011.

1. RS1981

RS1981 Member

I'm planning on buying some japanese silk rope from extreme restraints, but the reviews have me a bit unsure. A few of them said it's useless because the ends unravel easily. Do they just not know what they're doing and this can be prevented? Or should I try to find something better? I heard with nylon rope at least you can burn the ends to keep it from unraveling, can you do the same with silk?

Free LIFE TIME Fileboom Premium
  2. HisFox

HisFox Member

No, it won't work with silk, as it doesnt have any artificial threads to be melt. But I guess from the point of view of sensual feelings, nylon and silk are pretty much the same :) besides it ties into knots and they stay firm better

3. RS1981

RS1981 Member

I suppose I'm relying too much on reviews again, but there's also a bondage set that includes a very long nylon rope, and one of the reviews said the rope can cut into your skin. I'll link it here and you or anyone else can tell me your opinion on whether it's worth it. My pet is actually the one who bought her rope. I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to buying cuffs and rope.

http://www.extremerestraints.com/wrist-and-ankle-restraints_11/strict-leather-bondage-set_3074.html

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  4. HisFox

HisFox Member

Well I don't know much about it too... I was telling my experience when i had to deal with it on some decorative purposes. But according to my researches I can tell that most people are into jute ropes. Good luck! Hope someone more experienced will give you an opinion :)

5. sebastian

sebastian Active Member

Burning the end only works on nylon. For cotton or (I assume) silk, get some electrician's tape and wrap some tape around the end. If you get color tape, you can color code it for length, so you can already find the right length quickly. Alternately, I know there is a method that involves stitching the ends so they won't fray, but I've never tried it.

6. KB86

KB86 New Member

Buy more or brush the end with melting wax. Try it!

7. Kor

Kor Member

Do a web search for "knotcraft" or "cordage." Back when sailboat lines were natural fiber, the ends were finished off by wrapping them with thread; appropriately, the technique is known as "whipping"...

8. kajmir

kajmir Member

Apparently none of you spend time in your local hardware store.

Walk up to nice homedepot Man/Woman and say "HI I need plastic heat shrink for some rope"

It's a plastic tube, simular looking to a straw, you pop it on the end of said rope, take a lighter to it for 2-4 seconds...and poof, you magically have a secured end that won't unravel for some time.

9. kajmir

kajmir Member

With that said and if you have:
    take a straw about 1 - 1 1/2 inches long,
    apply contact cement to end of rope,
    slip straw over rope - allow to dry

take lighter, GNETLY torch end for 2 seconds after its dry.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  10. HisFox

HisFox Member

Oh, oh! About the straws kajmir mentioned... I heard from like tons of people that those things are just mindblowing for spanking (or canning :D ). They say it gives some very unique sensations :)

11. this.is.me

this.is.me New Member

I am going to second Kor with whipping the rope. I am not big into rope but have a few friends that its their major thing and they all do whipping. From what I understand it is a bit time consuming but these people are usually spending enough on the rope that its worth the time.

12. TwistedSister

TwistedSister New Member

just feel frayed .. and tired ... and confused:confused:

13. L8NightQ

L8NightQ Member

whipping is the right way to go. But the easiest way is to let it fray a little and then dip it in some rubber cement. This gets messy......

When you take it out, you can lightly squeeze out the excess RC and hang it over your shower rod to dry. After a little while, squeeze out a bit more so the end looks like the rest of the rope.
    Each time you will need some nail polish remover to clean your fingers, and you will almost always get some to drip where you don't want it.

I suggest you take a few short strands just to get the hang of it, then go for it.

Once you do it, it will never fray again... well at least for a couple of years.

Hope this helps.

14. sebastian

sebastian Active Member

Hey. L8! Good to see you again

15. Nuka

Nuka Member

Get hemp or Jue, you can cap the ends with wax and tape if you like. That or whip it.

It has a great feel and of course great for tieing.