how a dom thinks

MIRROR: Download from MEGA

Whilst I have some childhood abuse (non-family related) and definately had a controlling father who I grew up afraid of (we are ok now though) I don't think anyone would have said that I was anything but IN control of things for most of my life, I was very much a leader and not a follower. I was a protector of weaker children and some might say dominant. I had many people as a teenager who told me they found me intimidating or were afraid to piss me off.

From a very young age I was treated and seen as an adult, I was always tall for my age and could pass for older than I was so I got used to responding appropriately when dealing with people in general.

I was always attracted to older and strong male figures and was aware of this at a young age. Funnily when watching movies I would often find myself attracted to the males in the film who were considered the 'baddie', even if I wouldn't usually find the actor attractive in a normal setting or in another movie, once he was playing a bad guy or psycho I was turned on. I realised then I might have a problem ;)

My low self esteem and depression in my teens certainly enabled men to take advantage of me. I agree with Sebastion in that being overweight can make you feel like you have to take what is given to you, a sense of powerlessness in finding partners. It was as though I had to fit into a sub-group of society where normal rules did not apply to be accepted - as generally in the fetish world things like weight/age/status etc do not carry the same impact as in day-to-day life, as for some people it is not the person that is attractive but the fetish itself or the act they are partipating in. I know this does not apply in al cases but a lot in my experience.

There is definately a sense of wanting to give up control sexually in a way I never would normally, of wanting decision making to be someone else's problem. A dominant male represents protection and safety for me too, even if that person has the potential to cause me harm. I also enjoy the element of the unexpected. A D/s relationship is anything but boring, there is no standard missionary for 10 mins and then roll over, I enjoy the variety and passion that bondage brings.

So in summary (after all that rambling) I would say that I don't think of being submissive as a mental illness and I don't think it a by-product of the modern world in that homosexuality or feeling trapped in the wrong gender is not a 'new' craze. I think things have always been around but simply that it is acknowledged more readily these days.

I think attention can come into it, in that a Dom has their full focus on the sub in that moment and to a certain extent 'needs' you in order to derive their own satisfaction.

I do not think, however, that it is always as difficult to figure out what makes a sub tick as anyone else. I think 'normal' people can be far more complex and I'm sure a lot of men will tell you that even vanilla sex can be a minefield when trying to get a woman (or man) off (properly that is!).

Fileboom Premium Account

Keep2share Premium PRO Account

PinkUnicorn

I've heard a lot of people say subs must have had trauma in their past, or low self-esteem. I don't have either though, so I don't think that is true at all. I am not completely confident with my relationships with others though, whether a friend or a lover. I can never figure out what it is someone expects of me, so if they just tell me what to do it makes it a hell of a lot easier, right? I would say my mind works pretty simple; I want to grow into a better human being. I work best on a system of immediate rewards and punishments.

Fileboom Premium Account

sebastian

Pink, I don't think that abuse or trauma or low self-esteem are prerequisites for being submissive. There are many doms who occasionally enjoy subbing, and there are certainly subs with very healthy egos and happy childhood memories. But I do think that many subs do demonstrate those qualities. It might be because those are common qualities in general, or it might be that there is something about those qualities that help create the psychological conditions to be a good sub.

Fileboom Premium Account

chaoticist

I present myself as a dominant, but basically I'm just a simple uncomplicated sadist.

I have the same issue, partly in reverse - I'm not really a submissive, just a masochist. Many people don't understand the difference. I also have a sadistic side, but not a dominant one.

I gave up trying to figure out labels and categories a long time ago, in life as well as bdsm. I find it's much easier to just be yourself, and understand and then follow your nature, rather than conform to some preconceived notion of identity. Stay open to meeting someone who appreciates you as a multi-faceted individual, rather than someone who's always trying to fit you into some category of their choosing.

Most of these pigeonholing identity issues disappear once we trying to judge and categorise people incessantly.

Fileboom Premium Account

Kor

Stay open to meeting someone who appreciates you as a multi-faceted individual, rather than someone who's always trying to fit you into some category of their choosing.

Most of these pigeonholing identity issues disappear once we trying to judge and categorise people incessantly.

Ah, yes. I have a pigeonhole just for that type of person...

Pigeonholes and stereotypes exist because they're a useful handle for social interaction. In most cases nobody wants to appreciate you as a multi-faceted individual; they just want to expend a minimum amount of effort to deal with you (or not) and move on.

Fileboom Premium Account

As Dom, i don't think you will ever truly understand a sub's mind.
For me it was trained into me from my parents, father mostly. He was very traditional and in caring for him for 20 yrs after my mothers death, i learned how men expect to be treated. I would serve him hand and foot till his death. My Master at the time was totaly disturbed by how he treated me and how i would bend to his will, {not that i didn't also do all for Master aswell }. That being said, after dads death my need to serve and be dominated was gone. Master didn't ask things of me, and my children were going to school, i was all alone, heartbroken and lost. I chose to get a job and do something for me this is where the problems began. I had someone to serve again, my boss. I quickly became his right hand. I think because I will bend to please, i had earned his trust and belief in me. As i quickly became his "sub" totally unintentional, Master began to feel abandoned, late nights etc turned in to him needing to do more at home in regards to family kids etc. this caused many fights and an almost failed marriage. But thank god we rediscovered BDSM again. He will never understand this need in me, but he is fulfilling it. And in return building his confidence and strength. Which i inturn absolutly find insanely sexy. I will bend for him, do, wear submit to his every desire. and cant wait for the next order.

So on the thought of damaged, no i am not, trained into yes i am. loving it forever and loving him more with every demand he makes. It is what i am. i am wired to serve others, i get the greatest joy from the hardest work and feel loved and cared for by doing for others. And i won't complain about the greatest sex of my life either.

Fileboom Premium Account

Fascinating discussion!

Why a sub is a sub is very difficult to define. As with anything bearing the marker of human nature, being a part of something more then what we are is a stronger desire with some more so then others. This is one theory to explain the need for a sub to serve.

Now another aspect of consideration is in reverse role of what "Sir D's Little One" describes her needs. Where as with being a master myself, having an appreciation unique to my opposite gender, i find immense pleasure in being able to bolster my sub's strength and self confidence through her ability to overcome her fears, to explore herself further then what she has been aware of, and discover new boundaries. In any rewards/punishments scenario, the sub is able to push her/him self further then what they may believe they are capable of, thus creating a better sense of ones self. Through developing that bond between master and slave, sub and dom, the parameters in which they operate, help one another to go further then what most experience..

Fileboom Premium Account

Pending

One reason that I love being dominant is that for a very long time I felt rather powerless to acquire a partner. I was overweight and felt that my only choice was to be very flexible and accommodating. The fact that I get to be demanding and in control is like a drug for me as a result.

We seem to have followed a similar path... Although, if I am being honest, there has always been a fascination there for me even before.

Fileboom Premium Account

kerblimey

i'm mainly a voyeur of these boards but feel the need to contribute my tit bit here.

although i'm only a newbie sub i've quickly think i've realised why.

people have said its a need for attention, which i wholeheartedly agree with. i have a very extrovert personality as well as my overall look of pink/purple/orange/red hair, piercings and tattoo's and a unique style to my clothing choice which screams at people to pay attention to me....to like me.

" A rush, thrill, happiness, excitement, or any other feeling you have" - this is something i dont/didn't get in my life. when i was with my long term partner (12 and a half years) it was boring, sex was dull, the relationship was dull....he was dull. then he dumped me and things got better....lots better tbh :D

then theres "A sub wants to please and make another happy" - my job as a support worker for disabled students fulfils this in my opinion....as well as the fact that i've always been looking after other people since i was 9. I'm still now the one who looks after and listens to friends, family and students problems and never really had anyone controlling me in my life.

so all i wanna do is shut up and be told what to do :)

plus i really just enjoy the whole bloody thing :devil:

Fileboom Premium Account

Last edited: