Diet/exercise/weight loss thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIRROR: Download from MEGA

Sod it, discussing this subject has taken over the other thread a bit, so I think it's probably better off in its own designated area :)

I have just finished the last of some lemon cheesecake, and as far as I'm aware have only healthy foods left in my cupboard. When I'm done cooking my meat, I'm going to take another long walk. I'm glad it's a lovely day today :)

Fileboom Premium Account

Keep2share Premium PRO Account

sebastian

I'm impressed that you'll walk in the rain. That's more than I would do. I live near a park with great trails, so if I decide to walk, I usually read a book as I do so.

Spot reduction is the erroneous notion that you can burn fat from a body area by exercising that area. No amount of sit ups will burn fat from your belly alone. They will tone th muscles under the fat, but the fat will only go away with proper diet and cardio.

Fileboom Premium Account

Just come back from another walk. Because I walked today and yesterday, I won't walk tomorrow, because I need to rest my feet. For some reason, my left foot isn't too bad but my right foot is burning with the friction of walking :(

I've also decided to start drinking water, even though it tastes vile. Usually, on arrival home from a walk, I will drink a load of pure juice from concentrate, but it just makes me thirstier :( So I had a glass of water just now, downed it in one, and I now feel full, and don't feel like I need to drink a bit more to rehydrate myself :)

By cardio, I'm assuming you mean some activity that makes your heart beat faster? :confused: I'm finding now, as I walk, that I'm examining my heart rate every 10 minutes or so, and usually it's pounding quite hard and fast :)

As for sit ups, I can't do them. I tried some time before I decided on powerwalking, but I have back problems and as I pulled myself upright into each sit up, I had pain shooting up and down my back :( To be honest, I don't care if my belly is hard or soft, as long as it's flat.

Fileboom Premium Account

sluttysub

Yay! A weight loss thread. :)

OLP, have you tried keeping lemon water in the fridge? I get pretty bored with plain water and that is when I find myself looking for sugary drinks. I put a few slices of lemon in a gallon of water and keep it in the fridge. It's already good and cold and easily accessible when I'm thirsty, keeps me drinking more water. :)

As for belly fat, Seb is right. However, watching the kind of carbs you're eating can really help to cut down on the belly fat. I won't go into it all, but there is a load I've learned over the past couple of months. In a nutshell, focus on the complex carbs (whole grain, veggies, etc.) and limit your refined sugars (white bread, sugar, etc.) Also, be careful of the amount of white potatoes, corn and peas you eat. I've also learned that "carby" foods with 3 or more grams of fiber in it are better for you, they have good nutritional value. And eating protein with your more heavily carbed meals helps your body to keep it all level. Or at least, with my condition it does.

I weighed myself this morning and have lost a total of 19 lbs over the last two months. A lot of it has come off my stomach, at least, that's where I'm noticing it. My husband sees it in my face and butt ;). Thank God it's coming off as fast as it went on, and just in time for summer! :)

Hang in there, you sound like you're doing great! :D

If you want any recipes or tricks I've learned for dealing with my sweet tooth, just let me know. :)

Fileboom Premium Account

sluttysub

but I have back problems and as I pulled myself upright into each sit up, I had pain shooting up and down my back :(

Just curious, would yoga work with your back problems? The workouts can get pretty intense and can firm you up, but I find the stretches amazing when it comes to sore muscles. Just a thought, wasn't sure if it was something you had tried, or if your condition would even allow it...

Fileboom Premium Account

Sluttysub, I haven't had a fridge or a freezer for nearly 18 months :( I'm saving up for a fridge freezer at the moment, and then I can store perishables, and buy loads of plastic containers to make full, single serving meals that I can then freeze, and defrost/reheat when I want it, which will also save on cooking and food prep whenever I don't feel like doing it.

As for yoga, I've never tried it. There's an adult continuing education centre down the road from me that runs yoga courses, but I'm not sure when or for how long they run. The centre's on the route I take for my walks, so next time I go out I'll drop in and pick up a course list :)

Fileboom Premium Account

sebastian

If you're having back pain, do some back strengthening exercises before you start doing sit ups. Try this: Lie on the ground. Take a deep breath and then suck in your stomach, trying to get it down toward the floor. Tightening your buttocks may help here. Then raise both legs off the floor, keeping your knees bent at a 90 degree angle. Don't raise your hips, just your legs, so that your thighs are perpendicular to the floor. Then slowly lower one leg to the floor. Raise it, then lower the other. Do that 10-12 times for one set. As you do it, concentrate on keeping your stomach in and your lower back against the floor. Don't arch your back at all.

Instead of a sit up, do crunches. Again, press your lower back to the floor. Put your hands behind your head, but don't support your head with your hands at all; just lightly touch your fingers to your head. Then slowly curl your head and shoulders off the floor until your shoulder blades are up. Hold it for a second, and then return to the original position. Again, don't arch your back at all, and keep it on the floor. Try to feel the tension in your upper abs, right below your rib cage. If you feel the tension, you're doing the exercise right. Crunches have less impact on your back, and if you're having back pain, you don't want to do sit ups.

Do oblique crunches too. Lie on the floor as with the other exercises. Cross your right leg over your left knee. Put your left arm behind your head (like in a regular crunch) and curl your left shoulder up and toward your right knee as your bring your right knee toward your left elbow. You don't have to touch knee to elbow. Lower back to starting, and repeat 10-12 times. Then repeat with the other side of your body (left leg on right knee, right elbow toward left knee). Try to feel the tension running down the side of your abs as you do this. If you can, you're doing it with enough tension; if you can't, try tightening your stomach a bit more.

In all exercises like this, don't hurry yourself. Emphasize a slow and steady contraction from the starting position to the midpoint and then back to the start. Concentrate on keeping proper form. If you find your mind wandering as you exercise, you'll start getting sloppy form, and that means you'll get less benefit because you're wasting energy. These exercises isolate a single muscle as much as possible, so resist any temptation to let any other muscle get involved.

Fileboom Premium Account

My problem is that I find exercising boring and lose interest fast. Taking the baby for a walk with my wife I love to do. I need to convince her to exercise with me too. That would keep me going.

As for foods I seem to give in more than I want, but I am eating less than I used to. Wife has agreed to punish me if I eat anything while I am home alone. Except a can or two of mixed fruit, canned pears or other fruits. I get off work at 2am ad she gets off at 7am. Its not a long wait, but I would eat when I get home and then again when she gets home. I have been skipping my extra meal for about a week now.

Fileboom Premium Account

Status
Not open for further replies.