Cheap floggers... Bad idea?

Discussion in 'General BDSM discussions' started by RS1981, Mar 30, 2011.

LIFE TIME Keep2Share PREMIUM
  1. RS1981

RS1981 Member

My pet bought a very cheap flogger for less than $5.00 off of amazon, and I'm a little concerned about it because of the price. The description also said it's for costumes, which doesn't sound like a good sign either. Are cheap floggers still viable or was it a waste of money? If you're curious about what she bought it's the 22 inch genuine leather flogger whip.

2. Smallest

Smallest Moderator

It'll probably still provide sting, but all the cheap ones I've seen/felt feel, well, cheap. The suede's weird feeling and crumbles a bit in your fingers.

But on the other hand, sometimes you get good deals. Try it out, make your own decision. If it's crap, you're only out $5+shipping

3. Nuka

Nuka Member

Anne Summers "whip" is a good one, lovely leather feel. But their crops are pants. Some places are cheap and decent, others not so good :p

Just gotta look around.

4. sebastian

sebastian Active Member

The general rule with sex toys is that you get what you pay for. Cheap will always equal low quality materials and usually equals poor workmanship. (However, expensive doesn't always guarantee high quality.) Cheap sex toys will generally not hold up under repeated use, will be hard to clean without damaging, and may break during use. This last issue is a particular problem for bdsm play, because when a toy breaks, it may injure the sub. My feeling is that you're better off paying more for a toy that will last longer and help you feel confident about using it.

5. master jey

master jey Moderator

I agree with Sebastian cheap product is not a best idea

6. RS1981

RS1981 Member

Yeah I guess you're right sebastian, but on the other hand it only cost her about $5.00 so it should hold up long enough until we can invest in a better one. I'm not sure exactly what to get though, she likes a sting with floggers as opposed to a thud, so does that mean I should get one with thinner strands? We don't want an actual whip right now because we're sort of beginners and whips are harder to control.

7. sebastian

sebastian Active Member

My understanding, and I've only just started exploring flogging, is that thicker strands and more strands will generally give you thudding, while thinner strands and fewer strands will generally give you stinging. Also, stiffness is a factor--stiffer tails will produce more sting. And the material the tail is made from also affects sting vs thud.

You're right to hold off on getting a singletail (what you call an actual whip)--they are definitely advanced play and require a lot of practice to use safely.

8. Smallest

Smallest Moderator

Also, tapered ends will give more sting, whereas squared will give more thud. You can modify that on a flogger, and experiment with the cheap one before you get one you know will like

LIFE TIME Keep2Share PREMIUM