Changing a sub's first name

Discussion in 'General BDSM discussions' started by renzomaester, Feb 14, 2010.

1. renzomaester

renzomaester New Member

How common is it for the Dom to change the sub's first name legally? I am not talking about a "slave name" but a complete and legal name change.

My fiancee and I will start a 24/7 D/s relationship after our marriage and I want to change her name to mark the beginning of her new life.

Thanks!

2. sebastian

sebastian Active Member

I don't know how common it is, but makes sense. I've never heard of someone doing it legally, but it's a pretty strong statement of domination.

3. subspace

subspace Member

This would be hard for me. To lose your first and last name all at once would be a real shock to the system. I hated changing my last name when I got married and instead added it to my middle name. I guess however in the instance of a 24/7 slave relationship it would be fairly appropriate but psychologically I don't think I could do it. For me it would feel like I was saying goodbye to my life before I was a slave and all the life experiences that made me the person that I am. I would rather look at the move to a 24/7 relationship as a progression to something better rather than a complete severing of my previous life.

4. Sub4Life

Sub4Life Member

I'v never heard of it. But I am pretty naive to how everything works. My Master introduced me to the lifestyle and He keeps me sheltered for the most part. When I joined this site it was my first time talking to other subs and doms.

But I can't imagine changing my name :-/. But He does have names He calls me. Mainly the Russian form of my name. But that's an affection thing, I dont think he would have me change my name

It's interesting though. :)

5. ReallyGreen

ReallyGreen Member

Where do you live? Different areas have different laws for changing your name, but unless you are doing it to try to hide criminal activities its generally not illegal to change your name. Since your sub will be changing her last name anyway, might as well look into the first name while you are at it.

6. sebastian

sebastian Active Member

Have you discussed this with your sub? It seems to me a big enough thing that you ought to. I think it ranks up there with having your name tattooed on your sub. Given that it's essentially permanent and extremely public, I think you might want to find out what she thinks about it.

7. subspace

subspace Member

Is this the woman from Nigeria? If it is then imho I think it would be wise to slow down on beginning a 24/7 with complete name change with a woman that isn't exactly interested in the lifestyle past doing it because she knows you like it. For her to be a true sub or slave she must want this lifestyle with her whole being otherwise it is not a true M/s or D/s relationship. IF you bombard her with this drastic change I foresee a huge crash and burn in your future. Are you worried that once she gets to the US that you may lose her?

8. WmaGuy

WmaGuy Member

Spot on...I guess everyone is entitled to practice their lifestyle in the way they wish. While I have indeed changed the name of my sub to fit a particular mood, or roleplay, I can't imagine that even in a full-blown 24/7 relationship, that stripping a person of their birth name fully/legally will yield much more than a person lost of their identity....I smell backfire if this proceeds....

9. ReallyGreen

ReallyGreen Member

Mail order Nigerian sub?

When the Tutsi boyfriend shows up on your doorstep and starts cutting off your limbs with a machete don't come crying to us. (The killing will happen about the same time they pillage your bank accounts, unload your house, and sell your credit score to some pirates in Thailand.)

10. Sparrow69

Sparrow69 Moderator

LOL, funniest thing I've heard all day.

11. master jey

master jey Moderator

+1 XD