Bleh...

RS1981

MIRROR: Download from MEGA

So I've been trying to decide what to do with my life, and it doesn't seem to be going well at all. I thought game design would be a good career choice, but when I went to the penny arcade forum for advice, I didn't necessarily get shut down, but it still gave me a different perspective on it. I'm probably not cut out to learn programming, but all I really wanna do is be creative. I write, but I want a visual medium to go along with it. I'm not good at drawing either, so comic books seem to be out as well. I just feel like I'm back at square one with the the whole thing and it's very frustrating. I wrote a comic book script a very long time ago in high school and it was very good in my opinion, but unfortunately I stupidly left it there and lost it. It's probably all in my head but seems like every time I try to do something creative something holds me back. I'm tired of living on SSI because it's so limiting, and there's no way I'll be able to raise a family on such little money, but at the same time it's so difficult getting even a small job being disabled, especially in this shitty economy. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure employers would be much more likely to hire the able bodied person over someone in a wheelchair. People call me a conspiracy theorist when I tell them how I think about life but I feel like it's true on some levels. Sorry for the rant and the wall of text but I needed to get this off my chest.

Fileboom Premium Account

Keep2share Premium PRO Account

sillylittlepet

oh you got advice from PA?! =D
Omg I totally read your threadddd

Well, many comic book writers DONT draw their own comics. They write the story and dialogue, then an artist draws all the panels so comic book writing doesn't have to a completely shut door.

Is your disability being in a wheelchair? I'm pretty sure that unless your job is labor intensive, employers don't really care that much. They want to hire the most qualified person

Fileboom Premium Account

RS1981

Yeah well like I said people tend to call me a conspiracy theorist so I guess I'm a bit distrusting of employers, there's alot of senseless discrimination out there. I haven't had a job since I was 16, possibly at least somewhat due to my disability. So basically for a while I just gave up on finding a job at all and I've been living on SSI since I was 18. Well I'm 29 now so I feel kinda useless.

Fileboom Premium Account

RS1981

Yeah... Pretty bad huh? I recently wanted to but I've been dealing with a terrible wound for almost 3 years. Hopefully I'll be getting plastic surgery to heal it for good and then I'll work on trying to find work again. It's a pretty shitty time to try to find a job though considering the economy sucks. I need to stop being so distrusting and try but I feel like I've been out of work for so long that my chances of being hired are even worse.

Fileboom Premium Account

sillylittlepet

I think you need to thicken your skin when it comes to job hunting, I'm not exactly the best voice here being only 19 but if you have a bad attitude in getting a job its only going to make things worse.
You preemptively think that employers wont hire you, which is basically just setting yourself up for failure. When you dont get the job, you feel justified like "oh well I'm disablabled so OBVIOUSLY they didnt want me" instead of "well maybe I wasnt the best qualified for the position". Thats not really a conspiracy theory, thats just negativity. I dont want to sound mean, but you haven't looked for a job in 10 years. You're almost 30 years old, you have a lot of hard work to do and looking at the glass as half empty is not going to help you

Don't create excuses for yourself, go and get it done

Fileboom Premium Account

RS1981

Yeah I guess you're right. It's about time I start getting out of this rut and make something of myself. I think my biggest problem is I've talked myself into thinking if I don't like the job I'm applying for I don't want it. I need to stop thinking so narrowly and at least get some experience. What I don't understand is, that if you're right and employers don't hire me because they don't feel I'm cut out for it, then why does it happen every single time? I'm not being obviously negative at interviews either, and I seriously doubt employers can read my mind lol.

Fileboom Premium Account

sillylittlepet

How is this attitude helping you? Look at what you just wrote, look back at it for a second. Read it out loud. Listen to how negative and self-defeating that sounds

Stop

I applied for over 50 jobs last year, no joke, every single store in the area around me. I was turned down from every single one of them. Eventually I did get a job and it was really great. I didnt let defeat get me down and neither should you

Fileboom Premium Account

RS1981

Wow 50 applications before you got 1 job? I guess that gets rid of the idea that it's just me... I hate the state of our economy right now, it makes everything that much harder. It's weird though, everyone has different luck, not everyone has that much trouble finding a job. One thing's for sure, if I ever plan to start a family I need to start looking as soon as possible. I know you don't really know me but I appreciate the talk, especially because of the fact that you don't know me because you didn't have to. I guess everyone needs a good verbal asskicking once in a while to knock some sense into them.

Fileboom Premium Account