BDSM in various media and it's acceptance

kittengrey

MIRROR: Download from MEGA

So the other day I was browsing random news articles and noticed a topic mentioning MTV not airing a music video by 30 Seconds to Mars. I was curious, so I looked into it. MTV wouldn't show it because of nudity, but when I watched the video, my jaw dropped. There was way way more then just 'nudity' that had to be censored. It's loaded with BDSM.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RLwuDQSkDI
I found it gutsy to even make the video, since most of what's depicted in the video isn't accepted openly in society (or at least, what I've seen it hasn't been). Personally, I love the video (and song, and band) because it is showing BDSM as if it's just another part of common everyday life (unfortunately, I don't see many people walking around with gas masks on leashes, though it would be interesting) as well as using it as symbolism throughout the whole video (the video being about love, betrayal, coming to terms with it, and then overcoming it is what my husband said).
So, I want to know your thoughts. Is this type of BDSM in media acceptable? Do you think if it showed up in media like this a little more often, that the lifestyle would be better understood and accepted by others? (Other's being the section of the population that dubs all type of BDSM as completely unacceptable and punishable by law)
Also, they had child leashes. Why can't adult leashes be acceptable too? ( <-- that's just a random after thought, don't mind it xD)

Fileboom Premium Account

Keep2share Premium PRO Account

kittengrey

I dunno. I guess it depends on the viewpoint on how the video is taken. I mean, I was in a bit of shock and awe when I saw it, only because I never thought I'd see a music video from a common and popular band spit that out xD
Though it has a good and bad view. Some of the people in the video look like they're enjoying it, other's look like it's forced.
it is pretty ominous....

Fileboom Premium Account

subspace

Do you think if it showed up in media like this a little more often, that the lifestyle would be better understood and accepted by others?

I love it, but....
I dont think this sort of thing does much to help bdsm be better understood because it is such a fantastical view of it. If I were to see this in my younger days I dont think it would have necessarily opened my eyes to the lifestyle because it just dosent come off as reality. Its the more subtle displays that would have triggered an interest for me.

Fileboom Premium Account