anyone else get numbness

Discussion in 'General BDSM discussions' started by Moonlight, Jun 22, 2012.

1. Moonlight

Moonlight Member

I have noticed lately when we are done playing I have numbness in my hands and sometimes part of my legs. It goes to tingling and then feeling comes back. The restraints are not too tight so I am not sure why.
  2. sebastian

sebastian Active Member

Tingling and numbness means that somehow you're putting too much pressure on your nerves. It might be the ropes/ties, or it might be the position. So try process of elimination. Try a position that doesn't stress the joints, like spread-eagle. If you still get tingling, it's probably the ties. If you don't, it might be the other positions.

A good basic rule is that after the ropes are on, the dom should be able to slip two fingers between rope and skin. If he can't, the rope is too tight.
  3. Moonlight

Moonlight Member

Ok thanks, we will try some things differently.
  4. subarama30

subarama30 Member

Could be positions or circulation problem. Have you had any medical issues recently? That would be my first guess.
  5. thinmint7

thinmint7 Member

I have this too!! For me though it is right before I cum. I do tend to clench up so maybe I am hitting the nerves. To me it seems that the better the session is going the more numb I become... maybe all the blood displacement ;)
  6. Moonlight

Moonlight Member

Hmm could be.

Huh health issues. I have asthma and my immune system attacks my tummy but I do not think either of those has been linked to circulation problems.
  7. sebastian

sebastian Active Member

Looking at my first response, I realize I made a partial mistake. Tingling and numbness may also mean you're cutting off circulation, not only that you're putting pressure on nerves.

You said it's in your hands and legs. That could definitely be loss of circulation. Does it feel like your hand or leg has fallen asleep? That's a classic sign of impeded blood flow (like when you fall asleep with your arm tucked under you or something like that).

When this happens, how are you tied?
  8. Moonlight

Moonlight Member

The times it happens my arms are over my head or under me. Yes it feel like they went to sleep but feeling quickly comes back when I am upright again. I only had tingling in my feet once and I was sitting on my calves so I do think I cut off circulation that time.
  9. sebastian

sebastian Active Member

Ok Hands over head will do that--the blood is draining out of your extremities. So once you start feeling tingling or numbness, ask to be released from that posture. Your dom should watch for paleness of skin or a drop in body temperature in your hands. As for your feet, you might be cutting off circulation a little bit there as well. Do you practice kneeling?
  10. Moonlight

Moonlight Member

Ok well it is reassuring that over my head will cause that.

No I do not practice kneeling. Would it get better if I did? I never even thought of practicing before. I figured I was just getting old. I get a tinge of jealousy when I watched my toddler sitting completely at ease on her calves. Oh to be that limber again.
  11. sebastian

sebastian Active Member

Practicing kneeling _might_ help. I don't know, but I do know that some subs can extend how long they can kneel by practicing. Whether that would help you get past the tingling I don't know. But it's worth a try.
  12. subarama30

subarama30 Member

My legs can go a bit dead if I've been kneeling too long, you are not alone :)
  13. Moonlight

Moonlight Member

Oh yes mine have gone dead a few times. I have given my husband a good laugh when I try to get up and end up saying," Oh dear, help I am stuck."

sigh~ getting old sucks.
  14. RopeRanger

RopeRanger Member

Right at the natural place to tie your wrists is where the nerves running to your hands are routed. Palm up – they run on the side of the wrist when you’re looking at it. Turn your hand palm down and make a hard fist. On the opposite side of your arm from your wrist bone you should see a muscle bunch up. Below this muscle (toward your elbow) is where your Dom should be tying. Even tied correctly, arms-over- head means that this tie is going to slip up because of the natural shape of the arm. So, to protect yourself you should turn your hands in and grasp the rope so that the weight of the tie is supported on the outside of your wrist. Another option is to use cuffs for overhead to spread the load over a larger surface area. Nerve damage in this area typically leads to “wrist drop” or the inability to lift your hand in an upward motion. Another side effect can be lost of strength in your thumb causing lack of grip.

To determine if you are experiencing nerve compression or lack of circulation your Dom should do a capillary refill test. Keep in mind that you may still be experiencing nerve compression if the tie is not in the correct place.

Arms-over –head also presents some challenges in the shoulder area. The space between your shoulder and collar bones is very small. Lifting your arms over your head can cause what’s called an impingement injury. The nerves and blood vessels heading down to your arms are routed through this small space and can be pinched between these bones. It’s equivalent to turning your steering wheel all the way over one way until it slams into the stops and you hold it there while the power steering pump squeals. The good thing about this area is it’s typically a sharp pain and not something that sneaks up on you like wrist drop.

The leg numbness could be caused by being in the same position too long. As Sebastian suggests practice could help this. A lot depends on the exact position you’re in and if your legs are tied. I personally use the two finder rule for compressing ties, I use cuffs over nerve areas if there will be struggling or the risk of the tie slipping, and I limit restricted movement to 15-20 minutes.