Free LIFE TIME Keep2Share PRO Account

Ghost

MIRROR: Download from MEGA

It is spoken of as being addictive but I doubt that this is meant to be in the true definition of addictive substances.

And if it is -- it is likely more idiosyncratic based on each personality, much as we talk about 'sex addition', 'gambling addiction'. It's more of a personality issue (disorder?) than that the 'substance' itself truly fits the description.

Most of us like SOME adrenaline in some situations: roller coasters, parachute jumping, driving fast, water or snow skiing, scary movies....

Not everyone likes the same level nor even the same methods to induce the reaction.

Personally, I do (or have done) some extreme sports like parachute jumping, I even worked as a commercial diver, but I don't particularly care for roller coasters or scary movies.

The deal is that I don't like being scared but only like the adrenaline that danger brings -- I always want to be in control of MYSELF even if the situation is a bit scary. So things DESIGNED to scare me either do NOT work, or I am actively taking (mental) steps to keep them in perspective.

Guess whether I am dom or sub, heh heh?

It also means that I am extremely calm and rational during life threatening emergencies or when being attacked by a criminal etc.

I LOVE the heightened awareness and the focus that dealing with such situations engenders and encourages.

--
Ghost

Fileboom Premium Account

Keep2share Premium PRO Account

Sado_Dom

Ghost- the addictive sense of the rush of adrenaline has been observed in cutting. Part of a reason "emo"s are said to cut is because they get a large rush of adrenaline and endorphins which dulls their other senses and emotions. They become addicted to this and see it as a way to control their emotions; however, it only channels their emotions into a much more harmful behavior.

(and yes I know not all emo's are cutters and I did not mean to offend anyone by this, but this is the only way I can easily describe the behavior)

Fileboom Premium Account

Ghost

Yes, Sado_Dom, but is this an addictive 'drug' or rather an addictive personality?

This is a real difference -- a truly addictive substance has certain chemical and biological effects that will be dangerous to practically anyone.

Compulsive behavior can be associated with the most mundane items or practices.

Addictive behaviors seem to be somewhere in between -- people with certain personalities will behave similarly to using an addictive substance.

Fileboom Premium Account